Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

The Prince and the Dressmaker

on September 21, 2019

The Prince and the Dressmaker. First Second, 2018. $24.99. ISBN 978-1626723634.
A graphic novel with a modern, fairy tale vibe. Prince Sebastien has a secret: at night, he loves to
dress up in fantastic ball gowns and go out on the town as the fashionable Lady Crystallia. Frances
is the lowly seamstress who becomes his special designer. Charming, romantic, joyful and
subversive, this is a story about gender identity, self-expression, family pressure, and the joy of truly
beautiful clothes.

8 Responses to “The Prince and the Dressmaker”

1. rose says:

the prince and the dressmaker is a really good book and i would recommend this book to any one.

2. Kylie says:

The Prince and the Dressmaker is good for students who find reading challenging because it is graphic novel. The story begins with a girl who works at a dressmaker’s shop and a prince wants her to make dresses for him. No one knows that the prince wears dresses except for the dressmaker. At the end of the book the prince makes a proclamation that men can wear dresses. I liked the message of the story that no matter who you are, you are always welcome to wear dresses.

3. zoey says:

I would like to read The Prince and the Dressmaker because the fashions sound cool. I know someone who likes to dress in drag and I think it would be fun to read about a character who likes to do this. I enjoy graphic novels so I think this one would be a good one to read.

4. panda123 says:

The Prince And The Dressmaker is about a prince who feels different in a gown. A dressmaker ends up meeting him because of the lovely fashion she creates. Sebastian’s parents are trying to get him a girlfriend and he is scared they’ll find his secret.

5. Grace says:

I think this is a really good book because Frances is willing to keep Sebastian’s secret! Will Sebastian let Frances follow her dream to be a famous seamstress? Read it and find out.

6. Isabel says:

I loved the book “the prince and the dressmaker.” It was my favorite because I love fashion.

7. ELS says:

I really liked this book, but I couldn’t help asking a couple of questions. I wonder what would have happened if Frances had told Prince Sebastian’s parents that he likes to dress up as a girl? I wonder if Frances would still have made dresses for Sebastian if his identity wasn’t revealed? The Prince and the Dressmaker was one of my favorites!

8. How is Prince Sebastian different when he is Lady Crystallia? How is he the same?