Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Miscalculations of Lightning Girl

on September 21, 2019

Although she doesn’t remember it, Lucy Callahan was struck by lightning, which gave her genius
level math skills and a severe case of OCD. Since then she has been homeschooled. She is
technically ready for college, but her grandmother gives her one more test to pass: middle school.
This beautifully written novel teaches us that sometimes numbers aren’t all that matters, no
problem is unsolvable, and if you have a few friends who accept you for who you are, you’re pretty
lucky

3 Responses to “Miscalculations of Lightning Girl”

1. chair says:

I’m only halfway done with this book and so far I love it. It’s about this girl who gets struck by lightning but she doesn’t remember it and blah blah blah you probably read that in the thing that describes the book above in the blog comments. Lucy is a BIG germaphobe and she wipes down everything with a wipe, even at school. She even has a hand sanitizer right next to her door. She meets two friends in her new school. They work at a rescue dog business, but Lucy doesn’t like working there because she HATES dogs because of how dirty they are. Read the book to find out what happens next, trust me, you’re not gonna regret it.

2. Red pandas rock says:

This book is very good. The main character (Lucy) was struck by lightning at age 8, and has really good math skills because of it. I like the ending a lot. How about you guys?

3. Carmen says:

I loved it! I loved how Lucy changed throughout the story from never leaving the house to working at an animal shelter. It was amazing because Lucy had never touched an animal in her life because she was afraid of germs and now she’s letting one lick her! I recommend this to people who love a story with dogs in them.