Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Missing Mike

on August 31, 2019

Eleven-year-old Cari is devastated when encroaching wildfires force her family to quickly evacuate their home before she can find her beloved dog, Mike. After a harrowing escape, Cara’s family is housed by a host family with a foster daughter whom Cara befriends and enlists the support of to find Mike. Faced with the realization that her home is gone, Cara will do whatever it takes not to lose Mike too.

11 Responses to “Missing Mike”

1. Infinite says:

it was a really good book. It was a happy ending. I like this book.

2. rose says:

Missing Mike is a good book but it is sad at the same time. it was really sad when the dog Mike went missing. but at the end i like that Mike the dog came back. Also i would Recommend this book to people.

3. romana says:

Missing Mike is a really good book and a little sad but I like it a lot and you should read it if you like dogs and want to learn about a forest fire.

4. Doey says:

This book is very heartwarming and sad at parts. I had many emotions! I would definitely recommend it since it’s an easy read and it has a very powerful message. I think this very good book would be good for a reader who has trouble reading small print and long pages. The characters Cara and Mike are a good pair and how they met is very heartwarming. This is a 100% great read!

5. Anonymous says:

6. BOB says:

Missing mike seems like a easy read but also a heartwarming story based on stuff that really could happen. I cant wait to read this book, it seems like the book for me because it has dogs in it. I think you will enjoy it to.

7. Ava says:

Missing Mike was a very thoughtful book. It was a quick read, but it was still really good. Some parts was sad, but overall very heartwarming. You could really understand the connection between Mike and Cari, and how she would never give up. Cari makes friends along the way that really help Cari and understand what she is going thru. Missing Mike is definitely a good book for kids and adults.

8. Gavin says:

This was a easy read but a real POWERFUL book showing love, and compassion. This was heartwarming that I would recommend to anybody who wants a easy read and a heartwarming story.

9. baty41 says:

This is a very sweet story. I really liked this story because it was written in verse. I think that it’s a bit of a short read and recommend it for younger readers. I like that this is a realistic fiction book and the events in it could easily really happen.

10. Charlie Farrell says:

I really liked the book. It seemed very realistic. Right now (Oct. 10th) California is having brownouts to prevent wildfires and there was a news story about a puppy that survived being trapped under an air conditioner in the Bahamas after their devastating hurricane. I think people are more aware of saving pets during natural disasters.

11. Kearah says:

I really liked this book because i like learning about wildfires and books with dogs in it. How was the book for you guys?