Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Nuts to You

on September 3, 2015
Several members of the squirrel community witnessed that evil hawk snatch Jed up into his talons, but only TsTs saw him fall. While the rest of the squirrels mourn his loss, Chai and TsTs set off along the buzzpaths to save their friend. They venture into unknown territories, facing predators and allies along the way. They meet new squirrel communities and show us their incredible sense of ingenuity and ability to problem-solve. What is that ear-splitting rumbling, grinding, winding and cracking they hear that is slowly taking the forest apart, piece by piece? This novel will make us think differently about the little gray, brown and red rascals we see in our yards every day.

43 Responses to “Nuts to You”

1. eB says:

Nuts to you is one of my favorite DCF books this year! I love the adventure and friendship there is.

2. ??????? says:

I thought this book was very intertaning and was written very well

3. bigsister1000 says:

i loved this book so much i thought that it was he best one of them all

4. cole says:

This is a good book, thanks Lynne Perkins

5. dianne vanlew says:

I LOVE THIS BOOK! <3 😉

6. hannahpeacock says:

Which part is confusing to you?

7. Philly500 says:

This book has a funny title. I like this book’s beginning.Because the squell talks

8. star destroyer 77 says:

this book doesn’t make sense at all explain it to me please

9. Philly500 says:

This book has a funny title. I like this book’s beginning.

10. NicNic says:

This book was very enjoyable for me to read. It was funny intense entertaining and very good. I could not put this book down. This is a great book for anyone who enjoyed red wall, the tale of despero, or the mouse with the question mark tale.

11. hannahpeacock says:

Can you explain why you think this?

12. soccer god says:

thats a totaly stupid book

13. swagger jagger says:

I’ve read this book so many times it was funny every single time.

14. Gjrdacer123 says:

This book was really funny and I loved it. I though it was really helpful how the author put in captions and side notes.

15. Readingisawesome says:

This book is nutty in a good way, and I like it because it makes me feel aware of human impact.

16. Sadie says:

You book is beautiful and amazing!

17. Hockey player 3000 says:

Good book but it could have ended better

18. jelly muffin HM says:

While i was reading i was really captivated by this story because the adventure keeps on going and you dint want to put it down.

19. ATmable says:

I love how there is so many adventers in a squirrel life, it’s so cute and amazing.

20. jelly muffin HM says:

I like this book because it just has so much friendship and so much wild adventures in one whole book.
    I love how the squirrels have a really big connection with each other and go on this amazing journey to find there friend you had been carried away by a enormous bird.

21. Peanut Butter Biscuit PB says:

I don’t know much about this book so can some one tell me some more and if I should read it. thanks if you can.

22. the rat that likes to party cm says:

I like this book because it’s about animals and the gray squirrel and the red squirrels its a good book.

23. POLAR BEAR A.M says:

I really want to read this book. I have heard great things about this book.

24. maxman says:

I thought that this book showed great friendship and relationships between friends. Yet, it was hard to keep up with and I did not love this book. It was fun how the author included notes at the bottom occasionally about what is happening and trying to help us understand it since its from a squires point of view. I still did not love this book.

25. Stinky muffins HM says:

I love this book so much and I really want this book to be the most appreciated in all of the dcf books for this year also don’t forget to read all of the other dcf books that are available to you.

“Bubbles!!” BYE (;

26. Soccer crazy EO says:

Dear Fluttershy HM I agree with you this book is amazing and I think its amazing.

27. the rat that likes to party cm says:

I like how they made the book thick so it look like a good book to pull readers into the book.

28. Fluttershy HM says:

NUTS TO YOU

I love this book because it has talking animals and, I also love everything about it.I do like that there is adventure and friendship between four squirrels. If you like talking animals,adventure and friendship this would be an amazing book for you.
    One of the best things about this book is the creativity with all of the amazing names.
    I hope you love this book as much as I did.

29. hannahpeacock says:

The author illustrated the book herself. Do you think that is why the pictures are so relevant to the story?

30. SophieVT says:

One of the things I noticed about the cover is both the hawk and wolf are both in it. If you look in the top left hand corner you can see the hawk talons and in the bottom right hand corner you can see the wolf’s head. I thought it was very interesting that the illustrator Incorporated that into the cover and also very creative.

31. SophieVT says:

Dear Kane,
    I like how the squirrels look at everything differently too. I think it’s cool how the author comes up with the names that the squirrels use for different things in the book. Like how to squirrels power lines are buzz paths, or the water tower is the silver egg. But my favorite thing that the squirrels look at differently is when TsTs and Jed find chocolate and they know it’s a sign (I can’t say what it’s a sign of, that would kind of spoil it, sorry!).But, I agree it is a sign and I think it’s one of the best parts in the book.

32. SophieVT says:

Dear My Name Is Bob,
    I completely agree with you about how you don’t read it as long as you would with other books because of the pictures. For me this is because when I read I visualize a lot and a lot of times I confuse myself with them, so it takes me longer to reread and think about them. So when a book has a lot of pictures it takes me less time to read it.

33. SophieVT says:

While I was reading I wondered why the squirrels in the story were so social because in my mind they are very solitary animals. I thought about this and realized that the storyline wouldn’t work without them being social because, I think, you have to be social to really have friends and if TsTs and Chai weren’t friends with Jed they wouldn’t have gone to save him in the first place. I did some research and found out that ground dwelling animals are social while tree dwellers (like squirrels) aren’t. So that means my theory was right! I still think it is a wonderful book though.

34. SarahVT says:

this book looks like a lot of friendship and it looks very funny.

35. Taylor says:

I really did not like this book that much it was just hard for me to keep up with.

36. SophieVT says:

This week I had a text-to-self connection with one of the characters TsTs. When Jed’s friends, TsTs and Chai , raced to save him it turned into a real race because of their love to play games! Once they were tired out, the race was over. TsTs lost the race to Chai and said it was because of her shin-splints. If this wasn’t just an excuse, i could totally understand how this may have slowed her down because I have shin-splints and they hurt, a lot!

37. My name is bob says:

Nots to you is vary funny and it is the best book i have ever read! It was varey interesting to me and I ingoyd reading it it took me 5dats to finish the book.The thing I don’t like about it is that their are so meany pitchers that you do not read as long as you do on different dcf books. Thair is one part I really like wich is the part wen the Sguirrel says wolf wolf and j.d dos not believe him because it was not true and then the hawk came and he still did not believe him because he lied first.

38. Kane says:

Wow! This book is so amazing! It is very funny and very exciting. I love it how all the squirrels look at everything differently from we do because they’re smaller. They all work together to help find the lost squirrel. I like how the author includes notes, it’s different from any other book I’ve read!

39. owen 1111 says:

this sounds like the best book ever !!!

40. bubbls says:

nuts to you sounds great

41. owen says:

I like how all the squirrels had to help each other on there quest.

42. Ms. Thompson says:

It is a really fun read! Check it out at the library!

43. Ben says:

It sounds like a great book!