Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Absolutely Almost

on September 2, 2015
Fifth-grader Albie has always been an “almost.” In
kindergarten, he was almost ready to use markers. In the first grade, he was almost big enough to walk his dog. In second grade, he almost moved up to the red reading group. And in the third grade, his poem was almost chosen to be put up on the bulletin board for Parents’ Night. For once, Albie wants to be something more. Due to learning difficulties, Albie fails out of his private school and enters public school where he continues to struggle both academically and socially. Misunderstood by his parents who think he simply isn’t trying hard enough, Albie is also bullied at school. His luck begins to change when Calista, his new babysitter,enters his life. Calista is a creative and kindhearted artist who sees the very best in Albie. With the help and support of Calista and a few others, Albie begins to recognize his own strengths and to understand that he is absolutely much more than an “almost.”

34 Responses to “Absolutely Almost”

1. awesome sause says:

Absolutely Almost is an amazing book!! It’s so awesome!

2. Anonymous says:

This is the best DCF book of the year!

3. Cole says:

This is a book about normal life so it was very slow paced but it was a great book

4. BoxBoyMan1 says:

I don’t understand why Callista got fired even though she didn’t do anything wrong?

5. horselover6 says:

This a heart warming story. I loved it so mutch. Albie is such a great kid but he just needed that one person to let out his creativity. I highly recommend this book to all who love donuts and a little bit of hope.

6. Anonymous says:

I think it is right for a adult to tell kids what to do because that book can or can’t be appropriate.

7. Anonymous says:

you should not tell so much information because it probably is going to give some thing away also it sounds like a good book.

8. Sadie says:

I love Absolutely Almost.

9. Savannah says:

I liked the book so much because it was exciting.

10. Awkward Child 77 says:

I really like this book…. Alot

11. Ferrariman O.L. says:

This is a great book because it in my opinion it helps kids. Like how Abbie didn’t think he could draw all he needed was a little help.

12. Nicole says:

Albie is a funloving misunderstood child who is Japanese. their is tons of drama with a kid from his new school and he feels like his life is turned upside down, he is too old for a babysitter. I really enjoyed this book because it was very interesting. it was interesting because Albie was an interesting character. I highly recomend this book.

13. CR7REAL says:

why did calista get fierd she did not do anything wrong

14. AidanVT says:

NoahVT yes the boy named Albie does like air planes.I think you would like this book a lot, I definitely recommend this book.

15. hannahpeacock says:

Ryan is lucky to have a friend like you who recommends great books to him.

16. Maddison says:

Another thing I like about this book is that it keeps making you want to read more. If I had to recommend this book to somebody I would recommend it to Ryan Unwin because of how he likes to read small book. But if he reads this book he will want to read more.

17. Maddison says:

I think it was not OK for Calista to let Albie have a sad day and not go to school. It think that because when I have a sad day I go to school and my friends make me feel better.
    If I was Albie’s mom I would have told Calista that if she dose it again I will pay her less $. Also I could say that she will not be his babysitter during the week. Only on the weekend:)

18. AidanVT says:

Maddison, what is your favorite, and least forite parts of the book so far? You really seem to like this book a lot!!!

19. SarahVT says:

why are other people mean to Alibe ,then he turns into a cool kid that is very instering

20. NoahVT says:

This book looks good. Is he into airplanes? I haven’t read it yet so I don’t know much. I’ve got some friends reading it though. Is it good? Is it good enough to understand and read?

21. caitlincorless says:

I was so upset when Calista was fired, too! Do you think it was okay for Calista to let Albie take the day off from school? If you were Albie’s mom, what would you have done?

22. Maddison says:

The thing I really hated was how calista got FIRED! I was so mad about that but otherwise it was great:)

23. Maddison says:

I LOVE THIS BOOK! I really liked Betsy and art girl. If I was albie I wouldn’t be a cool kid even though he wasn’t for long.

24. AidanVT says:

I wonder why Darren is so mean to Albie at school. But Then all of an sudden Albie became a “cool kid”. And he lost Besty as a friend. Then Erlan’s TV show came on, things did not get any better. Darren did not see Albie in the TV show so now he his not considered a “cool kid” and Besty is still not talking to Albie. Oh no! Even worse Erlan is moving away!!! Poor Albie nothing is going his way. I feel bad for Albie what does everyone else think??

25. AidanVT says:

Absolutely Almost is a very good book so far. This is definitely one of my favorite books I’ve ever read. I wonder why Albie is not very good at spelling, because Albie studies his words a lot. Also his dad and his mom were both very good spellers when they were kids and Albie does not have dyslexia.

26. SarahVT says:

i love DCF books because you always get sucked in to the book cause it was really good .

27. Maddison says:

I am still reading absolutely almost but so far it is a awesome. I can’t wait to read some more of it tonight:)

28. no one 2.0 says:

Absolutely Almost was a great book I especially Donut Man.

29. hannahpeacock says:

Tell us more!

30. Caroline says:

I think if you are a mother and you don’t like certain things for your child you have the right to tell them no don’t read blank

31. Brodie says:

It’s a book

32. $ARB$ says:

Well it is his mom but if it was his friend he would not be able to tell him what to do.

33. Corndogio says:

this was one of my favorite dcf books ever

34. caitlincorless says:

Albie’s mom didn’t allow Albie to read Captain Underpants. Do you think someone has the right to tell another person what he/she can or cannot read?