Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Twerp

on June 21, 2014

twerpby Mark Goldblatt.

In Queens, New York, in 1969, twelve-year-old Julian Twerski writes a journal for his English teacher in which he explores his friendships and how they are affected by girls, a new student who may be as fast as Julian, and especially an incident of bullying.

40 Responses to “Twerp”

1. Skylar says:

Twerp was a great book.

What makes it better than a book that is just good? — Kate Davie

2. chelsea says:

I really loved this book and it was a fascinating book with lots of funny excitements. I hope that everyone in the world would be able to read twerp and love it like I do. What I really would like to say is that the book was great and that I will read it over and over!

3. #sowhat says:

I love this book this is AMAZING!!!! I think that I saw someone said that there is a second one and I am SO EXCITED!!!!! It is not only my favorite dcf book but my favorite BOOK too. I definitely recommend this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Evan says:

it was kind of confusing it was long their was some sad parts in their and some good parts in their. I recommend reading this book.

5. B0$$ says:

And I also hope that people can read the second one

6. B0$$ says:

Twerp was a very funny and hope that other people who haven’t read it can read it.

7. nanalana13 says:

We liked this book because of it being set in 1969 and we were intrigued about the character Lonnie. The couch was a metaphor for Twerp’s character.

Why do you find 1969 so appealing? Not that I’m arguing, I liked it pretty well. — Kate Davie

8. em says:

I really enjoyed this book. Just wanting to know what Julian did kept me reading and reading. I really enjoyed the character in the book too. My favorite person was probably Eduardo. He was kind and always wise in my perspective.

9. AAM says:

I loved this story. Julian was a great character to have this book be based on. After I got about 15 pages in I couldn’t put it down. I finished it quickly sad that there wasn’t a sequel. I would recommend this book to people who like to read about boys who get into trouble and do the things people wish they could do. It is a book for people who like to read about dare devils.

10. Srbruins says:

Tell me more about this book? It looks good .

Well, we could, but maybe you should be brave and find a copy and read it. Then you wouldn’t have to depend on our opinions! — Kate Davie

11. StylishJess6 says:

I just got this book Tuesday and I am already almost at page 100. It is very interesting and is already making my favorite book list. I would totally recommend this book to anyone. Especially thoses people who are trying to read five DCF books, so they can vote.

12. bullkitty says:

I think that this book is more appropriate for boys becouse the type of language and the way they talk about girls, had me feeling out of place.

Ooh, that’s an interesting observation! Would anyone else like to weigh in on this issue? — Kate Davie

13. weirdo1473 says:

when people got hurt that was funny.I liked it.

Hmmm. I don’t think that was the author’s intent, but every reader views every book differently. Kate Davie

14. MJW says:

I loved this book. it was funny at times and it was sad as times. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good book to read.

15. CB says:

This book is a fantastic book because it had exciting moments, sad moments and moments that make you think about your life. This is a recommended book.

16. rainbow says:

the action and the characters is what i like about twerp

17. hockey-girl says:

i really enjoyed this book. i think the main character, Julian Twerski, is really caring of his friends. i didn’t want the book to end!

18. ns says:

this book is funny,fun, entertaining

19. srbruin says:

what is twerp about and why did the author write twerp for a title.I want to read this book .I like authors details.

Probably the best way to answer your questions is to read it, so I think you are on the right track. I think you will find that Mr. Goldblatt is good at including just the right details! Kate Davie

20. MJ got dat power says:

[Off-topic comment deleted. Kate Davie]

21. bigsister1000 says:

what is twerp about?

You could ask your librarian, or you could read the jacket flap, but I would recommend that you read the first few pages and see if you can tell! Kate Davie

22. AB says:

This book is pretty interesting because it shows you what it was like in the 1960’s.I would definitely recomend this book to people.

23. MJW says:

I loved this book. It was a funny and a sad book. The reason it was sad is because they [Spoiler info deleted — Kate Davie].

Funny AND sad is an intriguing way to describe a book! Kate Davie

24. wierdo1473 says:

It was funny and i loved it. 😐 :\

25. Bullseye says:

I think Twerp was a great book I love the parts in the book action packed and at some moments very sad and quiet. I highly recomend this book.

26. JL says:

i love this book because it is a book about a kid who does something wrong and does not tell till the end of the book and it is so suspenseful.

27. TMK says:

I loved this book it was really funny, also sometimes a little bit weird and surprising.

28. rainbow says:

twerp is a good book it is interesting and funny. it is a good book and tells a good story.

What exactly is good about it? Kate Davie

29. rr says:

twerp was a sad but happy story.

That seems like a contradiction — can you tell us more about why you said that? Kate Davie

30. LPbosskid says:

some parts are funny, but some parts are awkward or surprising

31. LPbosskid says:

why do you think this book is good for people that want to be on Broadway Lil?

32. LPbosskid says:

I’m doing this book for a book report. I’m almost done with it and i think it’s very cool, and funny. it also showed me some things i should never do!

Excellent blurb — your last sentence makes me want to put it at the top of my to-read list! Kate Davie

33. lilchlosterpink9 says:

yeah that’s what I am all about I a little kid. Lil

Does that mean you are all about living in Queens? Kate Davie

34. lilchlosterpink9 says:

woops wrong book. Lil

I was wondering about that . . . Kate Davie

35. lilchlosterpink9 says:

Hi I love this book and its a good book for people who want to be on Broadway. Lil

36. lilchlosterpink9 says:

No but my librarian she is talking about the Dorothy canfield fisher books witch I love bye the way

Well, I’m glad she is talking about them AND glad you love them! Kate Davie

37. lilchlosterpink9 says:

Wow Vicki I might read this soon though when I have time.

38. lilchlosterpink9 says:

It makes me think of luck too and how good it is to be lucky.

39. Thunder5000 says:

Sounds really good Vicki

40. Vicki says:

I loved Twerp! It was fun, funny, and thought-provoking. Provided an excellent moral lesson that boys and girls could learn from.

“Funny” with “thought-provoking” is one of my favorite combinations of descriptors! Kate Davie