Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

The Great Trouble: A Mystery of London, the Blue Death, and a Boy Called Eel

on June 21, 2014

great troubleby Deborah Hopkinson.

Eel, an orphan, and his best friend Florrie must help Dr. John Snow prove that cholera is spread through water, and not poisonous air, when an epidemic sweeps across their London neighborhood in 1854.

25 Responses to “The Great Trouble: A Mystery of London, the Blue Death, and a Boy Called Eel”

1. Daniel says:

I really liked how the book was set up. I really love the whole book.

2. frogman says:

I really liked how Eel and Docter snow discover what made the blue death. The blue death reminded me of EBOLA it does the same thing as the blue death but its real!

Well, cholera is real too. They are having problems with it in Haiti right now. But I think you are absolutely right in seeing the connection between the blue death and ebola as two diseases that people find terrifying and hard to cure. — Kate Davie

3. frogman says:

I really liked the book. It was really good. It was my favorite book of DCF. It had a lot of details and the action was really good I wanted to keep reading it until I finished it you should really read this book.

4. glitterbug says:

I loved this book,It’s the perfect mystery of where the “Blue Death” is coming from.The story of Eel and his quest to find a way to stop the “Blue Death” in it’s tracks.A very detailed book and a must read to historical fiction lovers!!!

5. Jasminne#1 says:

I did not like this DCF book very much.

What was it about the book that didn’t work for you? There certainly were plenty of scary/gross parts about the people getting sick. But I thought the science plot was pretty cool. — Kate Davie

6. italreadywon says:

This book is very good. I like the amount of historical fiction in it. I like how Eel was very brave. I also like how Eel was working with a rich doctor even though he was poor. Yet he still managed to make a great team with Dr.Snow. I actually got in trouble for reading it too much one day. Overall, I think this book will win the DCF award in a landslide.

Well, I certainly don’t want to be encouraging you to get into trouble, but it’s great that you had an engrossing read! — Kate Davie

7. #DFC BOSS!!! LOL says:

This book is awesome because not only does it have a amazing plot it is written really well. If I had to give this book a 1 to 10 rating it would be a ten.

8. #DCF AWESOMENESS says:

I think the book was very detailed. It was also filled with excitement in every chapter. It was a great book!!

9. awsomegman321 says:

I really enjoyed the realistic feel that pulled you in and wouldn’t let you out. The book described death as the other day they were fine, the next they can barely breathe. I think the book was amazing and you should read it.

10. JDS says:

I liked how the book educated me on the blue death and how many people lived during that time period in London.

Yes, I thought the author worked in a lot of good history in a memorable way! — Kate Davie

11. AMT123 says:

I liked the book because it interested me. It was fantastic and I learned a lot from it.

12. swagmaster 40K says:

This book does have a lot of mystery with Eel and Dr. Snow trying to find how cholera spreads. Over all, it’s a great book.

13. Seahawks says:

I did not like this book because it had too many descriptions about the disease.

They were kind of repulsive, but I thought that was part of its charm! — Kate Davie

14. Awesome Orange Juice says:

I didn’t exactly jump to read this book, but I didn’t groan either. It wasn’t my genre but it was still exciting.

15. BettaFishLover8250 says:

I love the way this book seems like it’s being written over a year but the author documented it in a way where she says the details in a day. Even though it is over 2 weeks. I would recommend this book to people who like mysteries.

16. ButterPants140 says:

I think that Great Trouble is a very good book because I like history.

17. monkey says:

I liked the book because it talks about disease and I’m all about diseases.

18. MM GES :) says:

Really interesting but I felt really bad about the baker. Also for the kids.

19. Kit-Kat says:

I cant wait to read this book!!! I hope that it is a good book! 🙂 [Redundant emoticons deleted.]

Let us know what you think when you’ve given it a read! Kate Davie

20. Sean says:

I didn’t find this book too amazing. It didn’t really intrigue
    me because this isn’t my type of genre. So if you are reading a book I would recommend A genre that you like so you don’t lose interest.

Well, not everybody is a CSI fan, either. I liked this one a lot, but perhaps you finds something you like better elsewhere on the list. — Kate Davie

21. Amelia says:

I enjoyed this book. Not good for anyone with a weak stomach, but an delightful read nonetheless.

22. librarylady says:

This book wonderfully combines fact and fiction into a riveting story. There are many available websites to investigate further, but I found one that was interactive and shows the map of the London Soho district during 1854: http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/broughttolife/themes/publichealth .
    Choose the interactive map and scroll around to answer questions!

Well that’s cool! It demonstrates how well Deborah Hopkinson did her research.– Kate Davie

23. disney world says:

I like this book.I like this book because i literally can relate to it because I was adopted as well. I could understand what Eel was going through.

It sounds as though you are resourceful and articulate like Eel too! Kate Davie

24. lilchlosterpink9 says:

wow I maybe will get the chance to. Lil

I hope you do get a chance to, if it is a chance to read it that you are talking about. — Kate Davie

25. ultimate DCF Fan says:

This is a amazing book I hope tons of kids get to read this book and enjoy it because I did.

What did you like best about it? — Kate Davie