Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Sure Signs of Crazy

on June 21, 2014

sure signsby Karen Harrington.

Twelve-year-old Sarah writes letters to her hero, To Kill a Mockingbird’s Atticus Finch, for help understanding her mentally ill mother, her first real crush, and life in her small Texas town, all in one summer.

12 Responses to “Sure Signs of Crazy”

1. mkb says:

This book is amazing! This book is like a murderish type of book. Not necessarily murdering. Shes (Sarah) is always making sure she is not crazy. Her mother is crazy, and she lives with her dad. She has many challenges in life. I love this book!

2. Jasmine#2 says:

This book is awesome!!!!!!!! It’s a really good book. Though I wish she didn’t have a crush, or at least had a crush on someone her age. Even though she already had a crush on someone her age.

3. tay says:

love this book

Well, that’s a good thing, but can you tell us why? — Kate Davie

4. #swag says:

If you like mystery and murder together then you should read Sure Signs of Crazy. It’s about a girl who wants to meet up with her mother who she has not seen for a long time.

5. flyingunicorns123 says:

I like the main character of this book Sarah Nelson because she likes finding new vocabulary words. I also found that she doesn’t let anyone really know her real thoughts and how her days go, so she keeps a fake diary that says good things and a separate diary for the truth . She is always looking for signs of crazy in herself. I like how she has some odd twerks like standing on the stump on her front lawn and talking to her plant. I believe everyone should read this book because I bet they’ll like it .

6. e says:

I really enjoyed this book. I liked it because I really liked how just about ever chapter, there was a new word to learn from Sarah. I also think it was funny how Sarah kept making sure she wasn’t crazy.

7. hockey-girl says:

I love this book!!!!!!! This book was funny, sad, and a little confusing at times. It must be hard for Sarah to not have a mother to depend on. I also feel kind of bad for Sarah’s dad because all he wanted to do was make Sarah happy, but it’s kind of hard to do as a single dad. Did I mention that I loved this book…..ALOT!!!!!!!

8. Kit-Kat says:

I cant wait to read this book it looks great!!!!!

9. Kelsey says:

This is a good book for many reasons. One reason is because the author uses good transition words. For example she uses words like at this time. Another reason is because Sarah writes to Atticus Finch. Atticus Finch is a great role model to all and he is also one of my favorite book and movie characters. The plot of this book is ok, and I like the characters.

10. ncthalfblood says:

Charlotte is not being nice right now.She broke her promise to Sarah!She is also being nasty to her brother, Finn.I feel sorry for Sarah and am glad she has someone to write letters to-Atticus Finch.sometimes I wish I had different parents and am sure that Sarah has felt that way, too.It must be hard for her to go through her with them.If I were her, I would wonder if my parents would ever change.Would you wonder that, too?

11. ncthalfblood says:

This book is very serious and a bit confusing.Sarah’s social life doesn’t make sense to me sometimes.I don’t understand why Lisa acts the way she does, especially around boys.Charlotte is also acting very weird.I don’t get the relationships at all.Is this book my level?!

You are the only person who can answer the level question! Maybe Ms. Harrington was intending for there to be a bit of a mystery; what do other DCF readers think? — Kate Davie

12. Hannah says:

This book is so good so far I haven’t finished but the author has put in so much time to right the book.