Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Escape From Mr. Lemoncello’s Library

on June 21, 2014

lemoncelloby Chris Grabenstein.

Twelve-year-old Kyle gets to stay overnight in the new town library, designed by his hero (the famous gamemaker Luigi Lemoncello), with other students, but finds that come morning he must work with friends to solve puzzles in order to escape.

122 Responses to “Escape From Mr. Lemoncello’s Library”

1. #NerdyBookworm says:

This book by Chris Grabenstein is marvelous. I wish there was such an amazing library. Also, I liked the way he created different characters with different personalities. The writing is fantastic and really appealed to me! I think this book should win the DCF.

2. #m&m says:

This book is awesome!!
    It’s way of leaving you hanging after each chapter is awesome!
    I love Kyle and his awesome friends. This is a great way of making kids learn about searching for what you want!

3. #gummy swag says:

#I love this book.

What do you love MOST about it? — Kate Davie

4. #awesomeman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! says:

This book was one of the best books I have ever read. There were so many good cliffhangers in the book and it was really suspenseful. I also think that this book had a lot of clues that didn’t make any sense at first. I would vote for this book.

5. Dr.Z says:

I really like the characters and how they act in the book.

Who was your favorite? — Kate Davie

6. # LOL says:

I love Mr. Lemoncello’s Library it is the best with all of that tech stuff. It is so cool with holograms and the cool places.

7. #AWESOME!!! LOL says:

I love Escape From Mr. Lemoncello’s Library because it is super creative and it relates to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which was good enough to become a movie.

Do you think this book would make a good movie? — Kate Davie

8. flappydance123 says:

I think that Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library is the most creative and awesome book I have ever read. I love the adventures and excitement in the book. I spent every night staying up late just to read the book.

Ah, the true measure of a successful book! — Kate Davie

9. Awesome says:

I’ve heard of this book and the words they say are very positive and I’ll read it as soon as I can!

10. jPod2000 says:

I love everything about this book. From the high-tech library it takes place in to the characters.

11. jack says:

I think this is a must read for all 3rd-8th graders.

12. S.H. says:

I like Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s library because it is an adventure book, and filled with adventure. I think that it would be really fun to live that experience and go through what everyone had to do. This book is filled with excitement, and has a lot of cliff hangers. I would recommend this book.

13. fat elbert 21 says:

I really liked your book because it hade a lot of action and excitement. I loved the part when they are trying to find there way out of the library.

14. Madden225 says:

Mr lemoncello’s library is a really good book.I think the author
    put a lot of work in to it. It is a really mysterious book. I really
    liked the book

15. Boss365 says:

I think Escape From Mr.Lemoncello is a good book. I like it because there is a surprise on every page. I recommend you read the book because it is very creative and thrilling.

16. AEL says:

Mr. Lemoncello’s Library is a thrilling book full of adventure and mystery. My favorite part is how Charles Chiltington thinks he can’t loose but he does and it just goes to show that cheaters never win because he eaves dropped on Kyle’s group and paid the price for cheating. I was even mad at Charles when he shows his goody goody side to all the adults and holograms and when the competition is tough he is mean and rude to all the other players. Mr. Lemoncello’s Library is without doubt my favorite DCF book of all time.

17. Gold bro says:

I like the book a lot because

Hmm. Looks like something exciting interrupted you, G Bro. Hope you get a chance to finish posting! — Kate Davie

18. # B@-Man says:

I love Mr. Lemoncello’s Library! It is a great book with lots of twists and turns. I think Mr. Lemoncello’s Library has a great plot about how Kyle has to write as essay to get a chance to sleep over at the great Lemoncello’s library. But he forgets!

19. Clementine says:

This book is exciting and sometimes funny. If you like mysteries you would really enjoy this book. Have a nice time reading this spectacular book.

20. FLYO99 says:

Mr. Lemoncello’s library is an awesome book. It is definitely a nail-biter mystery and I would definitely recommend it to people who like fiction\mystery books.
    Enjoy!! πŸ™‚

21. zhwaggy BoBibly says:

This because is a winding maze of excitement and puzzles. Having to use information from famous literature leads the kids into solving riddles. Even putting in pictures so the reader can solve it.If they can. This book takes your knowledge of books and puts it to the test, literally. It show s that, like any competitive sport or test, it leads to the point of breaking the rules. I suggest this book to anyone with a large knowledge of literature and can crack a riddle or two.

22. NF says:

This book Escape Mr. Lemoncello’s Library takes place when the coolest library has been built. 12 students who write the best Essay will get locked in. Kyle gets picked, but it turns out to be a contest to get out. Who will win?

23. ER says:

Mr.Lemoncelli’s Library is an amazing book. It makes you sit at the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next. It’s a really funny book and I think you should read it!

24. JDS says:

I liked how in the book Kyle was kind to everyone even Charles and how he shared his reward with his family when all the other winners spoiled themselves. It was also interesting for Mr.Lemoncello to throw in a twist for the winners of the essay contest.

25. JDS says:

I like how in the book Kyle was kind to everyone even Charles and how he shared his reward with his family when all the other winners spoiled themselves.

26. J-M-P GES says:

I love this book because it’s so question like. The thing is that I like about the book is that you have to try to escape the new Library with the stuff that you know like you had to know authors name and the title of the book.

27. 2005 Arctic Cat z570 says:

Mr. Lemoncello’s library is a really funny book so far! My favorite part is the beginning because it really tells you a lot about Kyle and his family. I also like Kyle’s friend Akemi. Enjoy!

28. 1998 Ski Doo MXZ 500 says:

Mr. Lemoncello’s library was really fun to read and had a lot of humor. In this book I thought that Kyle was my favorite character because he is funny and helpful to other characters.

29. D K-R GES says:

does any one remember when Kyle was elected to go to the library. I love this book

30. popcorn123 says:

I really liked how there is so much adventure in this book. Mr.Lemoncello makese the library into a giant board game. If you like adventure I recommend this book.

31. Spirit Armor says:

I like the book Escape From Mr. Lemoncello’s Library because its about kids trying to escape from the library

32. horse10 says:

Escape from mr.lemoncello library is about a mase someone goes out the exit and that they lose read the book to find out more.

33. Ski Doo 2015 800 Renegade says:

I think that this book is perfect for every one who action and humor. This book was really good because it was funny and sirius at the same time. read the book and enjoy

34. Swag [Screen name edited. -- Kate Davie] says:

This book is awesome it can go in so many different ways so if you like a book that goes fast and intresting like me this is your book😎😎😎😎😎

35. sp0nqeb0bunic0rnz says:

One thing I like about this book is the puzzles and fun! The library sounds like a lot of fun. It being full of fun and games, if there was a chance to do this I totally would! If I were Kyle I would probably have so much fun solving these puzzles. My least favorite character was Charles Chilington because he was nice in front of adults, but when they weren’t near adults he was so mean. Well you’ll have to read the book to find out more.

36. Rabby Withdrawal VI says:

Escape From Mr.Lemoncello’s Library is in my opinion not worth reading. I find that it’s plot
    is a bit scripted. I also didn’t like most of the dialogue. So no, I don’t recommend this book to people who haven’t read it. One more thing my class like is addicted to it.

It’s always good to have a dissenting opinion. Perhaps you will find some other title on the list that you like as well as your classmates like this one! — Kate Davie

37. wyatt says:

It was cool how the author made puzzles out of the cards that were in book. The book’s characters had teams and got to play games and do riddles. I really liked this book

38. Emma says:

Mr. Lemoncello was a very wacky character. I liked that Kyle figured out a lot of Mr. Lemoncello games. I liked how the braggiest character in the book did not do so good in the end.

39. Logan says:

I loved this book because when you read it the story line is so interesting. The mystery in it just grabs you. Mr. Lemoncello acts like Willy Wonka because he says crazy stuff like stinkerrific.

40. Tiger Bomber says:

Mr. Lemoncello reminds me of of the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because Mr. Willy Wonka is a lot like Mr. Lemoncello. Also my favorite characters won the competition in both books. What I like most about this book are the puzzles.

41. Laxbro23 says:

I think that this book was pretty good. I liked how Mr. Lemoncello was fun and a magician. i enjoyed how Chris Grabenstein put puzzles in the book. I especially like how he wrote the story and when I saw the cover it looked like good book. I know you’re usually not supposed to judge a book by it’s cover, but this time the cover was as fun as the book.

42. Cash Money$$$$ says:

I like Mr. Lemoncello’s ritual’s, they seem so mysterious. I like trying the challenges in the book. I like this book very much and I hope other people like it to.

43. john deere 101 says:

I really enjoyed Mr. Lemoncellos library because you can really feel what he’s saying. There was a lot of detail in the book that I really liked. I like this book mostly because of Kyle because he takes a lot of different chances. I really do recommend this book.

44. t4eb4 says:

This is a book where when your teacher stops reading you just want to know what happens next. Charles is a snotty kid because he always says “I’m a Chitlington and Chiltington’s never lose.” The plot is very clear of how you need to escape Mr.Lemoncellos library first. This book is a fun read. I also like the fun puzzles in this book.

45. loon nut 201 says:

I really liked all the last minute stuff in this book because it got very exciting. I hope I can read it again because there were lots of details I want to read again.

46. wrestling champ! says:

I like this book because of Kyle. He is a great leader and he does a lot of risky stuff. I recommend this book to kids who like action and problem solving.

47. horselover32 says:

Wow what a book! It was amazing. My favorite part was the end. This book really excited me at so many parts. I wanted to jump out of my seat in excitement!. My all-time favorite part was when they first got into the library because the author described what the library looked like.

48. Maxine Noyes says:

I just started this book and so far I love it. Mostly because the library has so much tech stuff like the holograms at the beginning and I thought that was pretty cool.

What sort of holograms would you like in your library? — Kate Davie

49. Anonymous says:

I love the last minute [Spoiler info deleted.–Kate Davie]. Don’t you love it? Why did Mr. Lemoncello join them?

50. math journal says:

mr. lemoncello is also me because he has a hug big lib and he dos game s