Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Boy on the Wooden Box

on June 21, 2014

boy on boxby Leon Leyson.

The only memoir published by a former Schindler’s List child, this captures the innocence of a ten-year-old boy forced to experience the unthinkable.

20 Responses to “Boy on the Wooden Box”

1. austin says:

I love this book it brought me on a fascinating adventure with the little boy Leib it made me feel like I was in the same place he wasπŸ˜œπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜πŸ˜›πŸ˜πŸ˜„

2. MED says:

The author of this book is actually writing what his life was like during the holocaust. It is a touching story and very interesting, that is what I loved about this story. I hope you can like this touching story as much as I did.

3. Mara Doran says:

This book is about the holocaust and a Jew who is captured and has to live in a camp and work for the Nazis. It is a little sad at some parts but is very touching and neat. The book is really cool and I think it was neat because it just drops then rises back up again! I think anyone could read it and like it as much as I did!

4. Mee2016 says:

This book is great because it gives great information. We can rely on this information coming from someone who actually experienced the war.

5. #superman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! says:

This book was one of the most saddest books I have ever read but, it was one of the best books about wwii I have ever read. It gives so much insight on what it would be like to be a Jew at that time. Over all it was a really good book.

6. Elizabeth says:

This is one of my favorite books ever. I love reading about WWII.

7. AD says:

This book gave a great demonstration of what it would have been like to be a Jew. It made me think of what Leon would have went through. This book is something you would want to read if you like hearing how hard it was for Jews.

8. Anonymous says:

The book “Boy on the Wooden Box” gave a great demonstration of what it would be like to be a Jew in that time period. I thought it was very interesting and made me think about what it would have been like to be both a Jew and a Nazi.

That is a point in its favor, many books don’t give both points of view. — Kate Davie

9. demigod says:

I’m not really sure why, but I find stuff about the Holocaust very interesting. I really enjoyed this book.

10. dorkdiaries says:

This is a VERY descriptive book with great characters and it tells the story of Leon, a young boy that lived in the Holocaust time. This is a great book for people that like a lot of action!

11. bullkitty says:

You would be suprized! I bet a lot of people did rebell Hitler but so many places were under his power that f you did that you would die.

12. asduderules says:

Kate Davie, I don’t think a person like Hitler would last that long with that power now. Everyone would attack and capture the person. I think the United Nations would have something to say about that!

I am encouraged that you are thinking that way, DudeRuler! — Kate Davie

13. asduderules says:

MJ, I think I know why not many people commented on this book. I think people thought it was sad and turned it down, but it wasn’t that sad over all. It had some happy parts when they survived and some sad parts when they lost some family members too. I think it was worth reading, I really liked it.

14. asduderules says:

When Leon was working at Oskar Schindler’s factory, food was so scarce that when he found some potato skins he put them on a hot steam pipe so they would dry and then he and his brother could eat them. Its important because he’s starving and anything he could eat he’d probably eat. He is clever for picking it up and cooking it. He also always shared his food with his family no mater how hungry he was. I think he was very kind and smart of him.

15. CAMO=^-^=CRAZY says:

Hitlar if he was still alive i would be fritend

Do you think reading books like this would help people to take action if someone like Hitler was around? Kate Davie

16. Srdude says:

my friend said this book is good.

17. MJ got dat power says:

[Off topic comment deleted.] Kate Davie

18. asduderules! says:

I just started it and it sounds pretty good .I think it would a little sad if i saw my dad ever six months like Leo did

19. MJ got dat power says:

why has no one commented besides me…its a really good book! im doing it for a book report!

Some books make friends more easily than others, just like people. Kate Davie

20. Lilly says:

I loved the book and I would tell someone that likes a good history lesson read this book. I thought “The Boy On The Wooden Box” was an awesome because it takes place befor the time of me.