Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Better Nate Than Ever

on June 21, 2014

better nateby Tim Federle.

An eighth grader who dreams of performing in a Broadway musical concocts a plan to run away to New York and audition for the role of Elliot in the musical version of “E.T.”

35 Responses to “Better Nate Than Ever”

1. wild about books! says:

Better Nate Then Ever is about a boy with a dream of being on Broadway, and with some help from his best friend his dream sort of comes true. Even though he gets bullied and made fun he is still determined to make his dream come true!
    P.S. I’ve been to Broadway and it’s amazing!

2. NinjaNora says:

I loved the book Better Nate than Ever. It is one of my favorite DCFs. I liked it because of the main character. Nate knows what he wants to be and he’s really confident. Plus, this book made me laugh. I think this is a great book.

3. I am funny says:

I haven’t really read this book but my friend did and he told a lot of this book and i liked it

4. #Oh Snap says:

The book Better Nate Then Ever is such an inspiring book. It made me feel like I could sneak away in the night and go do what I want to do, just like Nate did. The book had some not-so-appropriate language in it, but other than that it was a book that I would vote for! 🙂

Well, that’s what language in New York City is like sometimes! If you could go anywhere, where would you go? – Kate Davie

5. Bulldoghockey#12 says:

Nate sneaks away New York City to audition for a Broadway production without his parents knowing.

6. Fin#64 says:

This book drags you through with cliff hangers leaving you to wonder. If you like Broadway this a great book for you. I know that I enjoyed it.

7. # your #s plz says:

Better Nate Than Ever show that you can have a little fun in your life. Nate is pretty cramped up is his life in Pennsylvania. But one day he has had it so one night he runs away to New York City he loves acting so he’s going to try out for ET in Broadway. that is all I will tell you but it is one of the best books I have ever read. you should give it a try!

8. J-M-P GES says:

Better Nate than ever is such a good book. I cant believe that Nate did all of that. Its such an amazing book to me. You guys should really read Better Nate Then ever.

9. blank says:

I hated this book but whatever

Hmmm. That brings up a few questions. One would be, what exactly about the book didn’t work for you? Another would be, have you tried anything else on the DCF list? — Kate Davie

10. Tractor Polaris 800 Rush Ford F-250 says:

Better Nate Than Ever is a great book. I highly recommend it for people who like adventure books. Favorite character is Derek because he seems funny. Enjoy the book!

11. Martt says:

This was a really entertaining book. It was fun that it was set in NYC. Freckles was really nice and I thought it was funny when the audition lady was bossing everyone around. This would be a great book for you if you like funny adventure books

12. mw rooney casilas says:

should I read this book.

Unquestionably yes! Kate Davie

13. njsamuelsen2004 says:

Freckles is pretty funny.I like his sense of humor towards Nate as a friend. I can’t believe that Nate got ejected from the audition another time! I kind of felt bad for him when he had got the call at Aw Shucks. How did he manage to go home with his mom when she picked him up.

I bet the conversation in the car was lively! — Kate Davie

14. MK says:

Better Nate Than Ever is really fun. I like how he follows his dreams and doesn’t give up.

15. njsamuelsen2004 says:

Its about a kid named Nate that goes to NYC to audition for E.T. I don’t want to give away the rest but he’s kind of in trouble when he leaves without any parents! It’s a great book for everybody out there who likes adventure,and humor.I love this book.

16. CMwaterpower says:

I have not yet read this book yet I have heard it is good. People say it is about a adventurous boy who goes to the big apple to be in a movie. so it sounds good and I love adventures.

Please check in again when you have had the chance to catch up with it!– Kate Davie

17. njsamuelsen2004 says:

I loved the part when Nate got the call on the bus about to go back to Pennsylvania,
    and got to [Me too, but spoiler info deleted. Kate Davie]

18. njsamuelsen2004 says:

One of my questions is how did Nate’s Mom not find out about him leaving home? Also how did he manage to get his Brother’s ID card without him knowing that Nate stole it?

I believe that if you review the bit that happens right before he leaves you will find that the author provided those details — not that you should be following his example! — Kate Davie

19. TRH says:

THIS IS A REALLY GOOD BOOK SO FAR. I HAVE JUST STARTED READING IT.

20. Anonymous says:

I love this book so much. lil also known as chloe

21. Anonymous says:

go for it .lil

22. Anonymous says:

yeah lb23waterfalls go for it. lil

23. jamespumpernickel31 says:

Hello bergy37 also this book was good

24. hockey-girl says:

I enjoyed this book a lot. I think Nate was very brave to go all the way to NYC to audition for the movie “E.T.” without his parents permission. I also think it was sweet of Aunt Heidi to let Nate sleep over at hers and Freckle’s apartment. I hope Tim Federle will come out with another book.

He has! Several of them actually. One of them is a sequel to this one, called Five, Six, Seven, Nate! You might want to talk to your librarian about ordering that one. Kate Davie

25. lilchlosterpink9 says:

wow.lil

26. Srdude says:

this looks so cool for reading.

27. LB23waterfalls says:

Lil, do you think that I should read this book for a book report? Please answer!

28. ryan graves 10 14 14 says:

i like music too.

Maybe you will get to take a trip to Broadway too. Kate Davie

29. yologirly524 says:

i went to see the auther and he read some of the book and it was fun and my friend got her book signed and it was really cool.

I am so jealous! Where did you see him? Kate Davie

30. lilchlosterpink9 says:

maybe. Lil

31. lilchlosterpink9 says:

Hi I love this book and its a good book for people who want to be on Broadway. Lil

32. lilchlosterpink9 says:

You really help Kate Davie. Lil p.s. my sister is 20 and she wants to be on broad way to. Lil again

I’m glad you think so! Are you going to give her this book to read? Kate Davie

33. lilchlosterpink9 says:

That’s my favorite part to work with dolphins and sea turtles those are my two favorite animals I love the movie dolphin tale and the dolphin tale 2

Have you read The Music of Dophins, by Vermont author Karen Hesse? It was a DCF book a few years ago. Kate Davie

34. lilchlosterpink9 says:

I love to sing and dance and act but I also want to be a vet and a zookeeper and an aquarium girl I have no time for singing and dancing and acting though.

Rehearsing does take up a lot of time. Maybe you could work at an aquarium and be the person who helps the dolphins show off their tricks! Kate Davie

35. demigod says:

I haven’t actually read this, but already I can totally relate to Nate! I love acting, and my ambition is to be on Broadway. It would be amazing, and I know some people who have been on Broadway. Though instead of Elliot, Eponine would be my dream role. <3

If you are Broadway bound this is definitely the book for you! I especially enjoyed the portrayal of the people who run the auditions in NY. Kate Davie