Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Out of Left Field

on September 21, 2019

In 1957, Katy Gordon is denied the opportunity to play Little League baseball even though she is a
talented pitcher with an unhittable “Sunday pitch”. Katy researches famous women baseball
players to convince officials that girls can play and play well.

6 Responses to “Out of Left Field”

1. ima_katt says:

OMG! this book is AMAZING!!! Kathy Gordan doesn’t take no for an answer, she shows great resilaeance against status quo. I would recomend this book to anyone. (if you get emotional while reading this book will work you up)

2. I am_a carrot says:

This book was an amazing book. It was funny, sad and happy. Katy showed great resilience and would not take no for an answer. I loved how everyone supported her during her struggle. I learned a lot about the history of women ball players from just this book. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a nice read.

3. Gavin says:

I loved this book it showed ambition, and courage. I would highly recommend it to people who love sports, or comedy books showing how one girl can change other peoples opinions about girls.

4. Kearah says:

I really loved this book because it`s a bout baseball and I like baseball. I also love this book because it proves that anyone can do anything they dream of doing.

5. Ava says:

I really like this book. It is very inspiring for kids. Even though it is a fictional book, there are some people that they mention who are real people. It gives a good description of how Katy ,the main character, controls her anger and sadness in a good way. Katy really takes action in the book and really digs deep for information, and it really shows that she cares for baseball. I definitely would recommend it.

6. Charlie Farrell says:

Katy was faced with a fairness issue. I really loved the fact that she used research and wrote repeated letters to try to promote change. She was an active voice for change. Are there any issues that you feel you could actively speak up for positive change? What are they?