Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Lifeboat 12

on August 31, 2019
This riveting novel-in-verse is the story of thirteen-year-old Kenneth Sparks and his experience on a lifeboat after surviving a torpedo attack during World War II. This is truly an edge-of-your-seat survival tale based on a true, but little-known disaster. The book has a broad genre and audience appeal. It will appeal to children of all ages.

17 Responses to “Lifeboat 12”

1. rose says:

life boat 12 is a really good book and i would recommend this book to any one.

2. Donkey honk says:

I love this book!! I definitely recommend it.

3. vincent says:

I liked Lifeboat 12 because I liked that the boy in the book survived the war. One part of the book that I didn’t like was when his mom was mean to him. I like happy endings and this book had one. If you like the story of the Titanic, you will like this book.

4. trevor says:

I like the book because it has a cool adventure and life lessons. Is a nice long book and you really get hooked. I also like that Ken, the main character, can tell the type of plane is coming just by the noise it makes.

5. Farm animal says:

This riveting novel-in-verse is the story of thirteen-year-old Kenneth Sparks and his experience on a lifeboat after a torpedo hit his ship. This is a very good book and I recommend reading it if you like survival stories.

6. ima_katt says:

I love this book. Would recomend this book for 5th and up.

7. Lizzy says:

Lifeboat 12 is adventurous and scary. Ken is a 12 year old boy that has to move to Canada because there is a war going on near his home. He takes a fancy ship to Canada but the disaster strikes. Kenneth Sparks and his friends end up on lifeboat 12 after they survive a torpedo attack during World War II.

8. Ben says:

Life boat 12 is a great book that I would recommend to someone looking for a good book to read. I loved this book because it was great realistic fiction about a boy who had real problems when he is on the ship and off. Ken Sparks is a great character with great friends that he likes. I would definitely recommend this book because its a great Dorthy Can field Fisher book.

9. Brownie lover says:

Lifeboat 12 Is a very interesting story because there’s a lot of interesting things like the kids have to survive in a lifeboat for many days and hope to get rescued.They have lots of troubles with their feet because of the cold and salt water. This book is based on a true story. The main character Ken fought to survive and helped others in the boat. This book was very exciting!!!! Read it to find out what happens to Ken and the others.

10. moooooooo says:

Lifeboat 12 is an amazing book and I think you should read it..The book tells the story of some kids who are on a ship between England and Canada because they are escaping a war. Something happens to the ship and some of the passengers end up in lifeboat 12. There are many people on lifeboat 12 and very little water. Read this book to find out if they survive.

11. fullsendmtb says:

Lifeboat 12 is an awesome book because it has so much attention to detail about the people in the story. Ken Sparks. the main character, helps the little boys on the lifeboat when they were seasick. Also the author does an excellent job describing the setting, like how the large ship has very first class dining. These are three reasons why I liked the book Lifeboat 12 and I think you will too.

12. Quinlan says:

In Lifeboat 12 the main character Ken gets sent to Canada on a ship with other children to get him away from bombing during World War II. When he went on the ship he got a room with some little kids. Then the ship got torpedoed and Ken had to go on lifeboat 8. He quickly got off lifeboat 8 because he forgot his jacket on the ship. When he returned there were no more seats in any of the lifeboats. Finally a guy said there was room on lifeboat 12 so Ken got on the boat. He was stuck in the middle of the ocean waiting to be rescued. If you want to know more, you should read Lifeboat 12.

13. jason says:

I think you should read Life 12 boat because it is an amazingly interesting book and it is for all ages. I think Ken helped out the people on LifeBoat 12 because he knows a lot about planes. One of the characters read a story to them to keep their hopes up and I liked that part of the book.

14. zozo13256 says:

Lifeboat 12 is a good book in my opinion. It’s about a 13 year old boy who is sent away because his town is being bombed. His family sends him away to try to keep him safe. I would recommend this book to people who like action and drama.

15. Random Human says:

Lifeboat twelve is a great Historical Fiction book that is based on the sinking of The City of Benares from a 13 year old boy’s side of the experience. He and the others on the boat faced many things from dehydration, starvation, mirages and even more. Luckily they were spotted by the Britsh destroyer HMS Anthony more than a week after their tragic ordeal.

16. Yet says:

Lifeboat 12 is an amazing book

17. jose says:

I think Lifeboat 12 was a fantastic book. It didn’t leave out any details and it really shows the difficulty of being lost at sea and ken’s true life experience.