Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Chester and Gus

on August 27, 2018
This inspiring and gripping novel is about the remarkable bond between Chester, a service dog, and ‘his person’, an autistic boy named Gus. Chester narrates the story, which gives a wonderfully realistic picture of autism and the challenges and triumphs faced by sufferers and their families.

9 Responses to “Chester and Gus”

1. laney says:

i love it I love I love it this is the best and i am not joking

2. laney says:

this book is the best

3. sam says:

Dogs are smart and Chester is too. reading this book makes me trust my dog, honey more.

4. Aliah says:

This book was an amazing book. Most dog books have something happen to the dog, or the dog dies. but this book had something special about it. I totally recommend this book!

5. Emma says:

this is a amazing book.i love how the family adoted him even tho he was scared of loud noises.

6. Lucy says:

i loved this book because most dog books the dog dies this was amzing

7. Anonymous says:

Chester was training to be a service dog, but no one want’s a dog that’s scared of loud noises, so Chester was seen as a jobless reject. That is, until a family took him home. Then he got a more challenging job then expected. He had to help a his new autistic boy, with which he had a special connection, get through school. Chester and Gus is a great quick-read, and you never know what’s going to happen next or how this quick-witted dog will handle it.

8. Megan.D says:

I loved chester and gus because it has a dog and an owner.

9. Carole Oglesby says:

Neither Gus nor Chester can easily communicate with others. How are their
    situations similar? How are they different?