Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus

on August 20, 2018

Aven Green is pretty much your average soccer playing, blog writing 13-year-old, with one major exception. Aven was born without arms. When her family moves from Kansas to Arizona, Aven’s once unfailing confidence begins to falter. Making friends is tough, until she meets Connor and Zion, boys who also know what it’s like to be an outsider. Together the trio work together to solve a mystery about the quirky amusement park Aven’s family calls home.

5 Responses to “Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus”

1. Lillie says:

this was a great book and it was definitely my favorite on the list! i loved the bit of mystery included.

2. Aven cauvanaugh says:

I loved this book soooo much i’ve read it twice. it is heartwarming, funny, dramatic and the best book ever! thank you for writing thi book!

3. Kate says:

This is by far my favorite DCF book this year. This book is funny, dramatic, heartfelt, and most importantly, gives you proof that everyone is different and still, everyone belongs.

4. Torrance Behrendt says:

I loved the book because the author kept putting surprises. My favorite part was when they are meeting the other kids with ticks and what they do with the ticks.

5. Sacha says:

The theme park that Aven’s family runs is in need of some help. What attractions do you think her family could offer that would bring more customers? What would make you want to visit there?