Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

The Nest

on September 2, 2016

nestFor some kids summer is a sun-soaked season of fun. But for Steve, it’s just another season of worries. Worries about his sick newborn baby brother who is fighting to survive, worries about his parents who are struggling to cope, even worries about the wasp’s nest looming ominously from the eaves. So when a mysterious wasp queen invades his dreams, offering to “fix” the baby, Steve thinks his prayers have been answered.

9 Responses to “The Nest”

1. Sofi says:

How old is Steve? Where dose he live?

2. Emma J says:

This was a very strange book. It was not one of my favorites, but it was pretty good. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a quick read.

3. Haven M says:

Weird. Just weird. This was one of the craziest, weirdest books ever. It was a little confusing at first when Steven started having dreams about the “angels” but the it started making sense. This would obviously not happen in real life. At first the knife guy kind of freaked me out. And also I was nervous when the wasps invaded the house. It was an OK book.

4. kyleeg says:

This book is really unrealistic it would not happen in the real world. Also this book was very complicated I did not know what it was about really, although this book was very good. Steven’s baby brother had something wrong with him but then…. one night Steven wakes up to angels in the air. And said we will help your brother get better,it was a weird book but I liked it.

5. JackAttack says:

I think that it is funny when Steve has dreams of wasps.

6. Drake says:

This book was very weird. I LOVE weird books.

7. Zoe C says:

This book is very abnormal and would never happen in the real world. Steven’s baby brother has an undiscovered medical mystery that is bringing worry and stress to his family. When he falls asleep and wasps asked if he wants a new baby he says yes. So the wasps get to work creating a perfect baby brother. Steven then loves the baby and doesn’t want a new one but the wasps insist.

8. hannah says:

the nest was a very good book and it was about this family and the mom had a baby and they where concerned about it because it kept having to go to the hospital and while that was happening the son of the family got stung and had a allergic reaction.

9. caitlincorless says:

Why is Steve so worried about his baby brother? What is his concern?