Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

A Night Divided

on September 2, 2016

With the rise of the 9780545682428Berlin Wall, twelve-year-old Gerta finds her family suddenly divided. She, her mother, and her brother Fritz live on the eastern side, controlled by the Soviets. Her father and middle brother, who had gone west in search of work, cannot return home. Will Gerta and her family find their way to freedom?

24 Responses to “A Night Divided”

1. Darrian H says:

Good book great story, its about a girl who is divided from her family while they are traveling and everything goes downhill

2. Hannah says:

I liked the book and it was really good. I was wondering about how the girl was going to get to her other family.

3. Hannah p says:

The book was really good and i recommend it to other people.I liked reading on because i wanted to see what she was gonna do to get to the other part of her family across the fence .

4. gabriel says:

This book is my favorite out of all the DCF books because of the suspense and action. This book also had a great story line.

5. Sam says:

This is the best book ever!

6. Kiera and Kaia says:

It was a great book, we read it in 3rd grade but I would not recommend it for 3rd graders we think its an awesome book for 5th graders! it keep me hooked the whole book. It was sad when Greta was separated from her family. we still loved the book. we think it is a greatly recommended book!

7. Emma J says:

I think this book was very interesting. It was also very sad. I felt really bad for Gerta, Mama, and Fritz because they got separated from Papa their other brother. I was very shocked when Officer Muller and his family went to the west with them.

8. kyleeg says:

I think this book was very sad. A reason i think it was sad is because Greta and fritz and her mom got divided from her family which Greta did not really know about. Her older brother and her father went to a camp on the west part of Berlin, And one night Greta woke up to a wall dividing her family a part.

9. Zoe C says:

I feel bad for Gerta. He family is divided and Gerta wants to escape. It was a very sad book.

10. Beckettvt says:

@caitlincorless: I don’t really read historical fiction, but this year I’m starting to read more because it has a realistic part to it and I’m learning something.

11. Beckettvt says:

I thought that the book did not have a good ending. I felt like the book was just one of those books that “They all lived happily ever after.” I felt like it needed an epilogue.

12. Owenvt says:

@Beckettvt the wall was taken down but not completely. there is some parts of the wall like check point Charlie. for people to take pictures.

13. Owenvt says:

i liked it when there getting out of the east side and going to the west side of Berlin.to bad offer Muller got shot it was good of Greta to try to get him in to safety.

14. Owenvt says:

caitlincorless Gertas family has to talk in wipers or has to wright there conversations on paper

15. Owenvt says:

I think it was interesting how Greta and Fritz use the pulley to haul dirt from the underground shelter to the basement.
    I liked how Fritz held up the ceiling from the tunnel by using bricks to hold up the dirt from collapsing.

16. beckettvt says:

@Sam: Same here. don’t you think the book is awesome so far? Did you know that the wall was taken down completely in 1992?

17. beckettvt says:

It is a great book! It is very suspenseful when we have to put the the book down in class. I can’t wait to read the book again! My favorite part is when Gerta and Fritz make the tunnel.

18. Sam says:

I haven’t finished “A Night Divided” but I already like this book because, I was never aware of what was happening but now I have more information about what was going on at that point in time.

19. Haven M says:

I love historical fiction and this book was fun to read. It was a little depresing at times, but the ending totally blew me away. I was completely stunned that Officer Müllen and Anna’s family help the Lowes to get away. I was thinking about how the Stasi had put in the microphones and were listening to their conversations. This book was overall was a very good read and I almost couldn’t put it down!

20. Caseyt says:

this book has a great ending. When the officer did that for Gerta I thought is this the same officer that caught her all those other times? And when Gerta tried to drag him to safety I was so suprised at what she did.

21. caitlincorless says:

I agree! It was very exciting. Do you generally read historical fiction books? If not, does this make you want to read more historical fiction?

22. sophie says:

I agree, this was a great book! I loved how exciting it always seemed to be. I couldn’t stop reading it either. I wish Mama, Greta and Fritz wren’t always being watched though.

23. Tessa Johnson says:

This is a great book! Quick to read, fast paced, and exciting! I couldn’t put it down.

24. caitlincorless says:

When Gerta’s apartment is bugged, how does it affect her family?