Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer

on September 1, 2016

9780385755528Sophie Brown’s family has just moved from Los Angeles to the farm they’ve inherited from a great-uncle. Farm life gets suddenly more interesting when their cranky chicken moves objects with only her brain: jam jars, the latch to her henhouse, the entire henhouse…. This quirky, clucky classic is told in letters to Sophie’s abuela, quizzes, a chicken-care correspondence course, to-do lists, and more.

Save

Save

Save

17 Responses to “Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer”

1. sophie says:

This book was not my first choice, but it was interesting. I wanted to continue reading Because the main character had the same name as me. I loved being able to look at the drawings, not all books I read now have drawings. One other thing I enjoyed about this book was how Sophie would wright ps, pps, ppps,and pppps at the end because she kept coming up with more things to say, that reminds me of myself.

2. Jocelyn F says:

This book is really really good and is also a good laugh. I think that all of america should read this because sometimes people really need a laugh now and then.

3. Sofi says:

Do the chickens talk? I don’t know because I never read it before!! 😀😞

4. Bobbyboy360 says:

This book is strange

5. MarcusL says:

This was the worst book I’ve ever read, it made me want to throw the book off a bridge. I HATE IT!

6. Haven M says:

I really like how this book together with the format of using letters. The author was very creative to think of using this method. I was always ready to see who the next letter was for and what would happen. I was very surprised to see that the chickens had special powers. My favorite part was when Sophie found out that Agnes was dead and that she had trained the speckled sussex to use the typewriter.

7. Emma J says:

This book is about a girl named Sophie inherits her great uncles farm and unusual chickens. She has a lot of adventures with them.

8. kylee says:

This book was very interesting and very complicated at first. One thing i like about this book is that she writes letters to people who past away in her family even if they don’t write back, she just wants someone to talk to. Another thing i like is how she describes the chicken,” this chicken looks very mad and white”. It was a very good book.

9. Zoe C says:

This book is interesting. It’s definitely unusual and Fiction. None of the chickens could be real. I like how the author chose each chapter to be a letter. It is a different setup then most books. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes funny or silly books.

10. ???? says:

I finished the book and the author had a way of writing I had not seen before

11. nicholas says:

I recommend this book to people who like weird stuff and poultry.

12. nicholas says:

if my pets had unusual superpowers I would keep them safe and I would not tell anyone because that would cause a panic

13. nicholas says:

I really liked the book because I like chickens and superpowers

14. cheyenne l says:

I just finsted this book I recommend it to people she is really crazy and wants chickens but this is aa silly book people that like silly and funny books they should read this book

15. hannah says:

It was a really fun book and i chose the book because it looked interesting on the cover also I recommend the book to other people that like funny and fun books.

16. Caseyt says:

This was a fun book I really liked the authors style of writing. I loved the way the author had the letters. I could hardly wait for the next letter.

17. caroleoglesby says:

What would you do if you suspected your pets had unusual superpowers? Would you tell anyone?