Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

George

on August 31, 2016

9780316381321George is a typical 4th grader who wants a part in the school play.  But George has a secret.  She is a girl in a boy’s body.  She and her best friend hatch a plan to get George the coveted girl’s role in the play and convince everyone to accept her as she is.

Save

Save

Save

20 Responses to “George”

1. Aphmau says:

This book is SO awesome. I LOVE IT. In the end it left off at SUCH a CLIFFHANGER (To me at least)! I hope they come out with a second one; it is so amazing. 🙂

2. Manny F. says:

I liked the authors topic on this book because I think it is important for kids and even adults to accept them as they are. If everyone accepted everyone else as they are there would be no bullying.

3. Jocelyn F says:

George is a really good book.It goes to show that you shouldn’t be afraid of your differences.You should be able to speak up because he made you special.

4. Pink Flower says:

This book was pretty good. It was a little sad that he felt embarrassed by telling his friends and family about being transgender. Everyone should have the right to be whatever they want: gay, lesbian,straight, transgender. This book is a story about a boy who knows he is a girl but doesn’t have the courage to tell someone. I would recommend this book to people who like emotion-packed books.

5. Emma J says:

I felt bad for George especially because he could not even talk to his own mother at first about being transgender. I really enjoyed this book the end kind of gave you a cliff hanger though.

6. kyleeg says:

i feel bad for Georgie. because people would pick on him there is nothing wrong with being transgender.

7. Fifi says:

I love George ❤️ It’s great but at the end it leaves us with a bit of a cliff hanger.ya she dressed up as a girl and kelley uncle thought George was a girl but it doesn’t say if she actually becomes a girl but I’mnot trying to affend anyone. I just think Alex Gino should make another book.

8. Haven M says:

This book was very meaningful and heartfelt. George really wants to be female, but she is scared to tell anyone, even her mom. When the play Charlotte’s Web is coming up, George really wants to be Charlotte. Mrs. Udell says that the part of Charlotte has to be played by a girl. George’s best friend Kelly is the only one that really understands her. I would reccomend this book to anyone who is going through a struggle in their life because this book is about a girl who is facing struggle.

9. bethanvt says:

i disagree with stevan becaues i feel that George is confused an still trying to figure out her feelings and she might now wat to say and wat her mom would say. i think that she needed to tell someone trusted alot like her best friend.

10. steven says:

Someone else wrote, “I feel bad for George. I feel that she is confused. She is also scared to tell her own mom that she is a girl. The author picked a strong topic that is meaningful and can be sad.”I don’t feel as bad for George as they did because she should have told her mother that she was a girl way before she found out because her friend was the first to find out.

11. steven says:

Someone else wrote “i really didn’t like this book because it was not interesting and i like book that you start reading and you don’t want to put the book down.” I didn’t really like it either but I read it anyway because it was a book and books are good,I liked it because it really tells about how other people feel when they are not treated as they should be.

12. steven says:

she had only one friend and that might be because she wanted to be a girl but she was a boy and other boys and girls did not want to play with someone who wasn’t sure what gender they were.

13. steven says:

This book reminds me of how people that are not normal are treated badly. Also how that people that look different have hidden talents.

14. bethanyvt says:

I would like to politely disagree with your opinion cheyennel. i think that George was a eye opening book that rely shows how transgender people including George might feel. and it was almost impossible for ME to put the book down. and finally this may not be your type of book but it was defiantly mine.

15. cheyennel says:

i really didn’t like this book because it was not interesting and i like book that you start reading and you dont want to put the book down.

16. Zoe C says:

I feel bad for George. I feel that she is confused. She is also scared to tell her own mom that she is a girl. The author picked a strong topic that is meaningful and can be sad.

17. bethanyvt says:

GEORGE is a great story that is really inspiring. “Be who you are” as it says on the back cover.
    George is definitely a book that makes you think little bit more deeply than some other books i read, like when George wasn’t aloud to even audition for the girl part in the play

18. bethanyvt says:

this book is about a transgender kid “George”.
    George is a 4th grade kid, George isn’t really fitting in with the other boys.
    He knows he’s transgender but no one else knows.when he tries out for a girl part in the school play his teacher tells her she can’t be the girl. If i were George i would angry at the teacher for saying that she couldn’t even try out for the girl part

19. hannahp says:

The authors style is pretty understandable because he picked a topic kind of on everybody should be included in things and also they should be nice.

20. Caseyt says: