Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Roller Girl

on August 26, 2016

In this graphic novel adventure, twelve-year-old Astrid discovers roller derby right as she and her best friend are growing apart.

Save

Save

Save

Save

Save

26 Responses to “Roller Girl”

1. willy says:

this book inspired me to roller skate. I love this book so so much

2. isabell says:

I like this book because I love being competitive this book shows that and I relate to this book because my freinds have been polled away and I had to move on just like Astrid.

3. sophie says:

When I first started reading roller girl i was a little bit board, but as I got further into the book, it became better, i’m glad I read it.

4. Manny F. says:

I Thought this was a pretty good book about a girl trying to accomplish her goal of roller skating

5. Jocelyn F says:

This is a really good book that shows that you do not need to cower and stay hidden when something tough comes up. It shows that you should always have friends by your side and ask them for help when you really need them and give them help when they truly and honestly need it.

6. berry says:

I like this book because it tells you to never give up

7. lillian h says:

i like this book i will suggest this book to a 6th or 7th graders i like this book because i love to roller skate and i like to go to roller derby l really love this book.

8. Colby m says:

This book is good for 4,5,6 and maybe 7th graders.I liked this book because I like roller skating

9. Fred/Ginny says:

This is a good book for for someone who likes roller derby and graphic novels.
    It about a girl who falls in love with roller derby.

10. on girl or no girl says:

she is working really hard to be a good roller scater

11. Kyle says:

astrid is working really hard to get better at roller skating

12. Zoe C says:

Astrid is trying something new. Doing a Roller Derby camp without ever rollerskating before. Getting used to having her old best friend hanging out with different people.

13. Haven M says:

I really liked this book. It showed strength, compassion, teamwork and many other things. Astrid/Asteroid was a very nice girl but she had some hard times in her life. Her best friend became friends with her enemy and she goes to a skate camp and she is the worst skater. Astrid/Asteroid pushes through and shows that she can do everything.

14. Emma J says:

I really enjoyed Roller Girl. It is about a girl name Astrid who went to a roller derby when she was younger and got inspired by a player to try roller derby. At first she stunk at it, but now Astrid absolutely loves it and discovered a passion for it.

15. kyleeg says:

Roller girl was a very excellent, great book. It is about a girl named Astrid, she has a best friend Nicole. And Astrid and Nicole went to a roller skating derby, and astrid absolutely loved it. And she wants to be a roller girl when she gets older .

16. RP ges says:

this book has inspired me. it was awesome I didn’t like Rachel and I am glad that Nicole choose Astrid before Rachel.

17. JND GES says:

Roller Girl was about a girl who went to a roller derby. She loved the roller derby so she joined the Rosebuds. The Rosebuds is roller derby team\training camp. Astrid shows perseverance and even though at first she is not the best skater but by the end with help from Rainbow Bite (a real roller derby girl from the Rose City Rollers from the roller derby Astrid went to Astrid looks up to her)Astrid is really good.

18. elephant2004 GES says:

When I read Roller Girl I was not quite sure if I was going to like it but after I read it I realized that it reminded me of the things that happen in real live and at the end of it I realized that I really like the book Roller Girl is a really good one and I encourage you to read it to and I think You will like it thanks

19. OBJ says:

I think this book will inspire pople .

20. cool guy says:

I like the book beacuse the way it started and how it ended.

21. Bubba360 says:

This was one of my favorite books. It had lots of action throughout the book and my favorite part of the book was Astrid’s nickname

22. hannahp says:

I like roller girl because it is interesting and it has a little bit of sadness but I recommend it to people that like graphic novels.

23. cheyennel says:

I like roller girl because one of the girls are interested in trying to roller skate and she accomplished her goal.

24. Caseyt says:

No people do not need to share interests or hobbies to stay friends. It is important to share some interests but not all. My friend and I share some interests but to be exactly alike would not be fun.

25. caitlincorless says:

Astrid and her best friend Nicole start to drift apart as they develop new interests. Do you think people need to share the same interests and hobbies in order to stay friends? Is sharing interests important?

26. Sacha Krawczyk says:

Did anyone else really, really want to try roller derby after reading this book? I am a terrible roller skater, but “Roller Girl” made me want to give it a try again.