Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

Unfriended

on September 3, 2015
When thirteen-year-old Truly is invited to sit at the Popular Table by a former best friend, she willingly goes, leaving behind her good friend Hazel. She is surprised at how nice the popular kids are, and how mean Hazel has become. Before she knows what’s happening, Truly finds herself caught in a web of lies and misunderstandings, made all the worse by the relentlessly public social media world. Told from the point-of-view of six eighth-grade boys and girls, the story unfolds with complexity and no easy answers, revealing the insecurities that each person feels, regardless of popularity status.

32 Responses to “Unfriended”

1. bobofvt says:

This book was ok but girls fighting is such a bad plot that it made me want to through the book out. 🙁

2. tiger15 says:

I coulden’t stop reading up!!!

3. Pearl says:

I have not finished the book but so far I really like how the author wrote it including how the kids do not really like each other. But in the beginning they all like each other and are friends until something bad happens.

4. purple_vu_penguins says:

I would recommend this book for 5th grade and up because it’s a little intense at times. Truly is stuck in the middle of two groups of friends: the popular kids and her best friend Hazel. Truly is small, but very smart. She has two siblings; a younger sister and a younger brother, and they both have some trouble getting through the day. Natasha sends Truly an email saying bad things about her siblings. Hazel hacks Truly’s email and sends the email Natasha sent to her to Brook. Brook kicks Natasha from the popular table at lunch and Natasha gets the internet on her side and it blows up, calling Truly mean names. Read this book to find out how Truly survives middle school.

5. Leah says:

This book really reminded me of what girls actually act like. I could picture myself in this book, only because this is what my school is like. This book has so much drama, but it kind of seems like a real story. If you haven’t read it yet, you should!!

6. Mia says:

This book is great i’m in the middle of reading it and i have to say that this is one good book that i have read in awhile and in the futre I defenilty will ask my mom to buy me a book by Rachel Vail if I think I will like it.

7. kdaddys girl says:

I think that unfriended is a book that has lots of fighting going on and lost friends.

8. Sammy says:

Im not in love with this book because I’m not really a big fan of drama and for me it is getting boring because of how much drama is in the book… and this is only my opinion I’m not judging your guys’s comments.

9. owen says:

The great thing about this book is how much drama is in it. Most of the drama is caused by Truly and how many problems are caused by her. What I don’t like is how much swearing is in it and how it can get repetitive. Also how each chapter shifts from one person to other.

10. NP says:

Unfriended is definetly my favorite DCF book so far.

11. slayde says:

I’ve have been left at a table and my best friend and left to go to another

12. Anonymous says:

I loved this book. It reminded me of my own life when I yell at my mom and then I love her a second later.

13. Lauren says:

I really loved this book. It remined me of my own life when I yell and scream at my mom and then I love her a second later.

14. Maddie says:

Okay, this book made me feel really emotional. Especially the part when Natasha was screaming at her mom one second and is loving her the next. Through all the blood from her feet and glass from her lamp, Natasha can still bond with her mom. This partially reminds me of my mum. (I love you Mama!)

15. Maddie says:

Hello,hello,hello! Brie, Brie, I personally didn’t care about the “bad words” that made appearances in Unfriended. I mean, the kids are in 8th grade. They have a right. Well, I’m not saying it’s OK to say those things. But still, cut em’ some slack.

16. Brie says:

I finished Unfriended it was a great book. It left me wondering whats going to happen next. Natasha is just not okay the way she turns the group of friends agianest Truly. She is pretty mean and asking her mom for help to get back at the people that hate her. If your a person who does not like words with bad words then this isnt the book for you I came across some.

17. dragon fruit princess! says:

I thought this book was really good and I liked the perspectives. A lot of books are from the perspectives of kids who aren’t popular, and it was a new way to think about the story when it was told from the popular side.

18. BANANA says:

I thought this book had a very interesting plot.Also Unfriended was written through email which is not the most common way of writing. If you like drama, READ THIS BOOK.

19. Brie says:

I didnt finish Unfriended yet. Hazel for sure for me does not make the cut for me. Natasha and Clay for sure is not a match. Natasha has to much drama and causes to much for Clay.
    I’m all for Truly shes amazing and they call Truly because she never lies.

20. Maddie says:

Oops! Sorry about that last comment! Not enough detail! So, I like Brooke because she tries to put back together her shattered world. I call it shattered because think about it, Your BFF brings an outsider to your table! And the drama that follows? No way. Too crazy. But Brooke, she tries to prevent the drama. And, obviously, at times she gets caught up in the moment, but still, she totally pulls off that good girl effect.

21. Maddie says:

My favorite character was totally Brooke. But I think I liked Hazel as well. She is most like me. Sensitive and scheming.

22. Maddie says:

I absolutely LOVED Unfriended!!! This is my 3rd DCF, and believe me, third times a charm! I love dramas in books, and movies. So Unfriended seriously made the cut. This book totally reminds me of my life at times. I HIGHLY recommend this book! Onto The Crossover!

23. Ms. Thompson says:

I found this book really interesting because I had a really hard time liking any of the characters. Normally it is easy to like the main characters in a story but it was hard to sympathize with these characters.

24. hannahpeacock says:

Pugsforever123: Same title as the movie and some minor similarities, but the book & movie are not connected.

25. Caroline says:

I have not finished the book but at the chapter I am on I don’t really like hazel. Truly he and Natasha pffft. I am okay with Brooke

26. Maya says:

This is a really good book. I think Brooke is a very powerful character

27. pugsforever123 says:

so this book is based on a dead stalker killig people.

28. Kat Valentine says:

My friend is reading this book and its very good!!

29. #star wars is awesome says:

i tottaly want to read this book

30. #peep number AWSOM!!!! says:

this review made me want to read the book!!!

31. hannahpeacock says:

Made you realize how what?

32. jennifer says:

I love this book, it makes me realize how dfkf