Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

The Turtle of Oman

on September 3, 2015

Aref lives in the small, Middle Eastern country of Oman with his parents, but the family will be moving to Michigan for three years so his parents can complete their doctoral studies. Aref doesn’t want to leave his beloved home, friends and most of all his grandfather, Siddi.

The Turtle of Oman takes place during the week before Aref must leave. Aref avoids packing and is more of a nuisance to his mother, so she sends him off to spend time with Siddi. The pair embark on series of seemingly magical adventures. They wander through the local market, watch sea turtles on the beach, travel through the desert to spend the night at a special camp where they meet and interact with a falconer. The story closes with Aref finally finishing his packing and coming to terms with his departure. With its soft tone and slow pace, this novel celebrates a child’s connection with his home and the little things that make a place a home.

8 Responses to “The Turtle of Oman”

1. bigsister1000 says:

the best book ever #theturtleofoman

2. Anonymous says:

really want to read it
    sounds good

3. flower of the north says:

It was ok but overall it was very good :0 🙂

4. MLG says:

The Turtle Of Oman is a really great book so far, it is kind of silly because someone tried to smuggle a parrot onto the plane and it is weird to bring a parrot on a plane with you.

5. Sammy says:

I thought this book was so amazing i liked how there was a lot of good idioms and similes and metaphors because my class was working how to find these in books.

6. SarahVT says:

i have started this book and i’ts good. I like this book because i love the author and i love novels.

7. Taylor says:

It took me a little bit to understand the characters and the settings but once I fingered it out it was such a good book.It was a surprise that he had such a good connection with his grandfather surprising right.

8. beeplovesbooks says:

It took awhile for me to engage with the story and the characters, but I did love the descriptive writing. The setting descriptions allow you to envision that you are right there with Aref and his grandfather in their favorite places. At first, I thought Aref was kind of annoying, but he grew on me. I really enjoyed his grandfather and the gentle way he had with Aref. Definitely a slower-paced story, but worth the effort to stick with it.