Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

The Meaning of Maggie

on September 3, 2015
Maggie Mayfield is turning eleven and looks forward to becoming President of the United States. When her Dad loses feeling in his legs and becomes confined to a wheelchair, he quits his job, turning Maggie’s mother into the family breadwinner. In the months that follow, as the family dynamics change, Maggie becomes more and more aware of her father’s condition and its prognosis, first through comments from her teenage sisters and later through her own science project. Though she is often overwhelmed– both by being left out of family discussions and by her growing knowledge that her father will never be cured– she faces everything with determination, humor, and hope.

30 Responses to “The Meaning of Maggie”

1. vtartist says:

I am not that far into the book but am very happy this is the next DCF book that I chose to read this year…I highly recommend this book to anyone!

2. elephantnado ges says:

The Meaning of Maggie is a really good book in my opinyin because the main charicter reminds me of me because of how she has that sertent tipe of humer that makes me laugh I dont know if you think the same about the book like me but my tip to you is to read it to so you can see haw it makes you feel

3. leighton says:

I really like The Meaning Of Maggie. I liked it because it was very happy in the end,it was happy in the end because her dad feels good about not being sick any more.(:

4. soccer god says:

did her dad ever get out of the wheel chair

5. meme says:

wo I just love the meaning of Maggie its a very fun book I knew I was gonna love it just because the title well I just like the title and all the things on the front just gave me a hook right there then I read the first page and fell in love

6. Batman waz here says:

I think that Maggie really changes throughout the book (obviously). I also think that she thinks just a little over the top of herself. And that the bond that her and her dad have is really strong and I think that if she tried to become part of her family and was listening really hard to them, her life wouldn’t be as crazy as it is. Also I think that her family could include her in more serious conversations.

7. Taylor says:

I love this book so far but there are some things that I would change. For starters, the description could be a lot better also the book is sort of off topic – one minute it’s talking about Clyde and then it go’s to at home talking to her dad.

8. scarlettvt says:

I agree with POLAR BEAR AM, Maggie is a little full of herself but I think that makes her a more interesting character because she is not perfect. A lot of authors make their characters to perfect and then they have no flaw so they are not interesting any more. Maggie reminds me of Gilly Hopkins from The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson because Gilly is also full of her self ( more than Maggie).

9. hannahpeacock says:

The beep is probably the sound of the hospital monitor.

10. hannahpeacock says:

That would be a great question to ask the author, ScarlettVT!

11. ScarlettVT says:

Why is the title of the book The Meaning of Maggie? Maggie does go through a lot of things in the book but, I don’t think any of them are about the meaning of Maggie . The title is a good title for a book just not this book. If it were up to me I would call it Maggie’s Thoughts or some thing like that because most of the book is Maggie’s thoughts .

12. mollyVT says:

To brie, I thought the prologue was a little confusing. What I Am really confused about is this sentence ‘beep, beep, beep my dad won’t stop beeping’. My confusion is how do people beep without their mouths?

13. mollyVT says:

I agree with Makenna M (: about how sad this book is. It actually made me cry.
    The saddest part is when she finds out about her dad’s illness . I would change the dad getting the a huge illness. A less stressful illness might be better. Like chickenpox or the flu. I also have a connections, one of them is that I love writing too. Especially writing realistic fiction books.

14. POLAR BEAR A.M says:

maggie thinks too highly of herself

15. Aelin says:

I agree with MollyVT. This author is awesome at description. I really like the way you described Tiffany, MollyVT. Tiffany is seen as a stuck up brat who enjoys annoying people.
    I can connect to Maggie because I have an older sister who is turning 13 on friday the 23. Older sisters are bossy little pricks who need everything and everyone to be just so. when they get older, they turn to just not caring about anything but themselves anymore. For Maggie, her sisters would go off to college soon but for me, and I know many people with almost 13 year old sisters so them, too, the “fun” has just begun. So sorry for you, mates! and you Maggie. Having this connection helped me understand Maggie’s feelings for her sisters.

16. mollyVT says:

I think that Maggie’s parents should tell Maggie about her dad’s illness. She could help her dad by loving him more. She could always spend more time with him. She could also try to figure out a solution to his sickness. But she can’t help him if she doesn’t know that he has the sickness.

17. Mufasa says:

This book was really good and I could not put it down.

18. mollyVT says:

This is an amazing book. The author does a good job describing the character. I have a perfect picture in my mind of Maggie. She is eleven years old. She is a little on the fat side since she eats a lot of junk food. I can see her at her brown school desk studying hard with a big rosy cheek smile on her face. I can see her drinking a big fat can of coca- cola and licking every last drop! I can also see Tiffany. She has a gallon of makeup on.Tiffany has bright red cheeks, blue eye shadow and eyeliner. You can’t even see her real face color. She is holding a little sparkly pink purse with Tiffany embroidered on it.

19. SarahVT says:

maggie sounds like a good person this book must be really good

20. scarlettvt says:

To janeknight, I think that Maggie’s parents are helping her because she seems very connected to her dad and if she knew what was happening she would be upset but, if I were Maggie, I would be mad at my parents for keeping such a big secret from me. If I were Maggie’s parents I would tell Maggie that her dad is sick but I would not tell how serious it was.

21. scarlettvt says:

While I was reading this amazing book, I wondered why Maggie’s dad invited his mom to Christmas . His wife obviously hates her mother in law, she was definitely upset after he invited his mom. Maybe Maggie’s father was mad at Maggie’s mom for some reason and wanted to get revenge but I can’t imagine why they would be fighting.

22. scarlettvt says:

While I was reading this amazing book, I wondered why Maggie’s dad invited his mom to stay
    with them at Christmas? Maggie’s mom obviously does not like her, she was mad at her husband after he invited his mom. Maybe the dad was mad at Maggie’s mom for some reason and wanted to get revenge. I also wondered why Maggie’s dad got upset when his mom was trying to help him? She was just wanted to help his legs.

23. Brie says:

I like this book its funny and loving. Maggie seems protective of her family and always blushs over Clyde.I had to hold my tears back when she said her fathers legs are in a deep sleep.Her father is very protective with Maggie. Her mother to me has to many rules for starters. The NO BOY rule but they allow her other sister has a boyfriend and hes allowed over. Tiffneys boyfriend isnt allowed over. After reading the prologue I knew i had to finsh the book.

24. Maddie says:

I honestly think Maggie’s parents aren’t doing her a favor by concealing her fathers illness. Being part of a family, I personally like to be connected to things. So, I would go crazy if my parents kept something that big from me!

25. Brooke says:

I am not done reading this book yet I still have a little left but it is funny in the beging and sad at the end every night I can not put my book down it is such a good book.

26. Maddie says:

I think this book was pretty good, but there are parts I would change. For starters, I wish it could be more descriptive. I didn’t read all of Meaning of Maggie, but when I stopped, I was left confused. I wouldn’t recommend this book.

27. charlotte says:

i read that book!i had to stop myself from crying when(spoilers ahead) the grandmother was being a jerk about her son.

28. makenna m :) says:

I’m still reading some of it but in the beginning I had to hold back my tears. It had a sad beginning but I have to admit it did grab my attention and make me want to read more. I have to admit her cake she had for her birthday might be my new favorite flavor. I wanted to be president when I was younger to. Plus I love to write just like her. It was an okay book but not my favorite.

29. makenna m :) says:

I’m still reading some of it but in the beginning I had to hold back my tears. It had a sad beginning but I have to admit it did grab my attention and make me want to read more. I have to admit her cake she had for her birthday might be my new favorite flavor. I wanted to be president when I was younger to. Plus I love to write just like her.

30. janeknight says:

Do you think Maggie’s parents are helping her by protecting her from the reality of her father’s illness?