Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

No Summit Out of Sight

on September 3, 2015
On May 22, 2010, at the age of thirteen, American teenager Jordan Romero became the youngest person to climb to the summit of Mount Everest. At fifteen, he became the youngest person to reach the summits of the tallest mountains on each of the seven continents. In this energizing memoir for young adults, Jordan, now seventeen, recounts his experience, which started as a spark of an idea at the age of nine and, many years of training and hard work later, turned into a dream come true. (Simon & Schuster)

51 Responses to “No Summit Out of Sight”

1. #I LIKE TRAINS says:

I WANT TO READ THIS BOOK!

2. Maybe I'm Maddie... says:

First off, May 22nd is the day after my birfday, therefore it looks pretty rad-awesome pals. Also, my teacher recommended this book to me (and really everyone else so what makes me so special, only everything) so that makes me wanna read it. And last but certainly not least, kids are cool and I like mountains!

3. woop whap says:

I loved this book to i read it from my library and i loved it so much I bought a copy fro myself.

4. SUPERGIRL2004 says:

This book was AWESOME! I had heard of Jordan Romero before but didn’t realize it was written by him. I liked how he really described his journey to the top of every mountain. I could definitely read this book again! πŸ™‚

5. soccer god says:

good summery of that book

6. Gjrdacer123 says:

I am only 54 pages into the book and I already know I want it to win the DCF award.

7. meme says:

πŸ™‚

8. Andrew best says:

I hope that No Summit Out of Site wins DCF because I really want to meet Jordan. I want to meet Jordan because he was the youngest person to clime the seven summits. Also he climbed the highest peak in the world. Another reason that I want to meat Jordan is that he dedicated his life to help other kids accomplish their life goal. His book inspired me to accomplish my life goal. My life goal is to become an Olympic soccer player; because of Jordan, I think that I may do it.

9. SarahVT says:

It looks good what is the main idea

10. Alannavt says:

Dear Aquacoral, I totally agree with you, the book was very good and inspirational! Any dream can come true if you work hard to accomplish it. Jordan really inspired me and definitely opened my heart. I recommend it to any one who loves to dream and make goals to accomplish that dream. if you haven’t already please read this book… I don’t know why any one wouldn’t like it

11. Alannavt says:

Hi Banana man 2000, I totally agree with you that Jordan is risking the lives of him, his dad and his stepmom Karen, but there really experienced mountain climbers and they have all there mountain gear and harnesses to keep them safe and secured to the mountain!

12. EthanVT says:

Hi Sue, I think that kids should be able to make their own decisions when they are young. If they want to climb a giant mountain, I think it is up to them to take on the risk. I also think that Jordan has a really fit family, so it was easier to climb a big mountain for him than any other family. He also had his mind on his goal and not much else.

13. EthanVT says:

Hi ElenaVT, I disagree with you when you said that Kilimanjaro was the hardest mountain out of Kosciusko, Elbrus, Denali and Kilimanjaro. I think that Denali was the hardest one out of those four because it is a more technical climb and because there are crevasses and it is possible to die on it. The book also made it seem like it was one of the hardest mountains he had to climb.

14. Alannavt says:

I cant believe how much courage and power Jordan must have had to climb the Seven Summits. Its amassing to me how hard it was to get people to notice them in Russia because of the huge language barrier. After reading this book I almost want to climb the Seven Summits to.

15. Alannavt says:

Jordan was such an inspiration to me! I love how he never gave up even when he was in pain and cold and tired. Other than having sponsors I wondered how Jordan and Paul and Karen got the rest of the money to reach Jordan’s goals of the Seven Summits.This was a great book and I cant wait to read the other book Jordan wrote about his climbing the Seven Summits

16. Mufasa says:

Very good book finished it very quickly and enjoyed it very much

17. dragon fruit princess! says:

Yes

18. hannahpeacock says:

It’s about a young boy who climbs the highest peak on each of the continents.

19. EthanVT says:

I think the three main themes in No Summit Out of Sight are courage, ambition, and family. Courage, because Jordan needs a lot of courage to climb Everest and the other tallest mountains in the world. Ambition, because you can’t just climb the seven summits, you really have to work hard, train and get prepared. Family, because if Jordan hadn’t had his dad and stepmom along he would have given up his goal very early. Can you think of any other themes in this book?

20. EthanVT says:

I wonder if Jordan has finished his goal of climbing the tallest mountain in each state in the US? Have you heard if Jordan has finished his goal, and if he has, has he made a new goal for himself? I would really like to know what Jordan is doing right now. Do you know?

21. NoahVT says:

Looks good? What’s it mainly about?

22. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$@hyr says:

This was av good book……

23. Elenavt says:

Hi My name is bob, I disagree with you when you said the book lost interest. I think it is a great book that is very inspiring and interesting. I like how every mountain is a new adventure in a new place.

24. Elenavt says:

Hi akate love I agree with you , I really like this book a lot.It dose really show that you should never give up.I also think it is very inspirational and exiting.

25. Elenavt says:

I wonder if Joran will get to the top of Everest on his first try , and if not how many try’s will it take to get to the top. I think he will probably make it to the top on his first or second try.

26. maxman says:

i think this book was amazing and it was inspirational how just a little mural in his school inspired him to set records in climbing the seven summits. I also like how he pushed him self to climb and stay in front of the group and not be the one everybody is waiting for.

27. Elenavt says:

I was surprised when it said Jordon herd the avelanch from miles away and thought it was right there on top of him! I didn’t know an avelanch could be herd so well from so far away.I also wonder if they will get caught in any avalanches on any of the mountains they still have to climb?

28. Elenavt says:

I am wondering which summit has been the hardest so far out of Kilimanjaro , Kosciuszko , Elbrus , Aconcagua , and Denali ? I think one of the hardest so far is Kilimanjaro because it sounds like a long treacherous hike with lots of snow.I also wonder which will be the hardest all together?I think it will be Everest because it is the tallest and most difficult looking.

29. Soccer Girl (you) says:

I liked the book because I like climbing.I wouldn’t want to do that but I liked that he did it.
    I am inspired in this book to hike more.

30. James Potter says:

I like the book it is very good. The book is very scary. It sounds unreal.

31. Soccer Girl (she) says:

My class is in the middle of no summit out of sight and it is really good .He inspires me because
    even when he was afraid he cept climbing Everest. I like Jorden because he’s real and it’s a true story.

32. Bananan man 2000 says:

The book isn’t,t bad. But I think that the mountain climbing thing is too dangerous. Jordan is risking his life and also the life of his dad and step mom.

33. Anonymous says:

He really inspires me.Hes reaching his goal.I also like to clime .I hope his dad’s ok.

34. Dolphin girl says:

I think it is good. I like the montens . It is a massing .

35. He says:

Jordan inspired me to work hard.He open my heart.
    He made me always have courage.

36. Bananan man 2000 says:

The book is not bad. But I the Mountian idea is a bad idea because the mountians are dangerous and risky one mistake and down you go.

37. Dolphin girl says:

I think it is A great story that is amazing .but a litte bit sad at spots . But makes me strong .j

38. My name is bob says:

I don’t like it that much but it is sort of a interetoreasting at the beginning but then it loses Interet to me that is gust my opinion about the book no summit out of sight.

39. #MY NAME'S JEFF says:

I personally don’t like it much because I prefer more action books like green arrow (wich is NOT a DCF book.) I don’t recomend it to anyone that doesn’t like violence or a little bit of bad language.

40. Aquacoral says:

We are in the middle of reading the book. I think it is very inspirational for kids to follow their dreams just like Jordan did. Almost any dream can come true. I’m interested to continue reading the book. Right now I am reading the part where Jordan is climbing Denali.

41. Stevie says:

This book is awesome,can’t wait to read more!!!!

42. akate love says:

I love this book. This book just goes to show what happens when you put your mind to something and never give up.

43. Stevie says:

This book is awesome!
    Can’t wait to read more!

44. #SNItzelve strade # ;) says:

# insperational,made me cry

45. Ann says:

Jordan inspires me because he is climbing the summits without cunplaning.

46. Tom says:

Inspiring for kids around the world.

47. Sue says:

I felt that he was too young to make the decision to pursue such risky goals. I am ispired to actually be more explicit in stating my goals and making a plan to reach them.

48. hannahpeacock says:

It’s one of my favorites too. How are children at your library liking it?

49. Debbie says:

I really enjoyed going along with Jordan on his expeditions. I even wished to book was longer! Jordan is a rare breed for sure. I am glad he is taking his message of goal setting and healthy living to children around the US.

50. hannahpeacock says:

Was Jordan an inspiration to you?