Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

There Will Be Bears

on September 2, 2015
When Tyson’s best friend, Bright, decides he would rather hang out with the cool kids, Tyson knows that he still has his grandfather for companionship. They are planning an elk hunting trip together and Tyson is psyched. When his grandfather is sent to a nursing home and his parents cancel the big hunting trip, it is almost more than Tyson can handle. So in defiance of Mom and Dad’s strict orders, and despite reports of a scary, stalking, man-eating grizzly named Sandy, the two sneak off to the Grand Tetons. Will his grandfather be able to handle the trip? Will Tyson get his elk and be the talk of his middle school? Or will Sandy make a ferocious appearance and destroy everything?

21 Responses to “There Will Be Bears”

1. Aleah says:

Hands down this is the best book by far.

2. Avery says:

I just started to read this book and I can’t seem to put it down! This book has a lot of detail in it. I love how Tyson and his Grandpa Jean have a great friendship. This book has a little bit of drama in it, but mostly action. I like the grandpa’s personality a lot. I like how Tyson doesn’t really care about his friend Bright changing. I would recommend this book to people who love a good adventure.

3. 7.🌲Powerstroke🚜4440JohnDeere570zArcticCat says:

“There Will Be Bears” is a great book. I recommend it to anyone who likes adventure books or humor. My favorite characters are probably Tyson (kid) and Gene (grandfather). This book is based on a middle school kid that loves bears an likes hunting. I really enjoyed this book and I hope you do, too.

4. Anonymous says:

I have just started to read this book and I can’t seem to put it down. I really love how this story could actually relate in life. I love how Tyson and his Grandpa ( Jean) have a really close relationship. This book is very detailed. I love how this book makes you want to read more. I would recommend this book to people who love an adventure and a little bit of drama.

5. Mia says:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SPIOLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS BOOK I CAN NOT STRESS IT ENOUGH BUT I THINK IT IS KINDA SAD WHEN TYSONS’ GRANDPA JEAN HAS TO GO TO A NURSING HOME AND I REALLY FELT FOR TYSON WHEN WHEN HE WAS LOOKING FORWARD TO GOING ON THE HUNTING TRIP WITH GRANDPA JEAN @ FIRST I WASNT SHURE ABOUT THIS BOOK BUT ONCE I STARTED TO READ THIS BOOK IT REALLY GREW ON I HIGHLY RECCOMED THIS BOOK TO ANYONE WHO IS LOOKING FOR A GOOD BOOK AND HAVENT READ ONE IN A REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY LONG TIME.

6. Abby says:

I love this book!!! This is my favorite book that i’ve read so far. Its so cool when tyson has to curl up in a ball and then when Sandy claws him in his back. I really recommend this book to who ever likes hunting and or bears.

7. Dylan says:

So far the book is great. If you have not read it you should because it if full of action and if you love to hunt it is a great book for you.

8. cadman says:

This book is awesome I love how the dads boss people around.

9. Anonymous says:

This book is awesome! I like how they disobay the dads roles and go hunting in stead of camping.

10. Soccer crazy EO says:

Kind of creepy at the beginning with the horse heads and the sculls!

11. owen says:

I love this book. I love how Tyson and his grampa plan this big hunt but something bad happens. I love how his one and only friend Brighton becomes a jerk and hangs out with tho “cool kids” and tells him all his secrets.

12. Peanut Butter Biscuit PB says:

When I was reading the book I thought that bright was rally mean.

13. GooseJCG AKA... JDOG says:

Hey gooseMSR I agree that sandy is really scary I think his halloween costume was really neat.
    I would recomend this to anyone who likes hunting and bears because there will be bears

14. Ferrariman O.L. says:

Dear gooseMSR,
    By the way you described this book it sounds awesome. I can’t wait to read it!!!!!!!!!!!

15. gooseMSR says:

The sandy the bear is so scary!!!! I love that it sounds like it is real life.

16. t says:

This book is really good, especially the part where Sandy is next to Tyson. The Halloween costume sounded awesome too.

17. Anonymous says:

This book was the best. I think every body should read it. Amazing, amazing, amazing!!!!!!!!!

18. maxman says:

This book was very awesome and fun to read. It was also exiciting to see what would happen next. The story twists and turns as the dad says no hunting but Tyson’s Grampa, Gene “Bear Swears” that he will take him hunting. His 77 -year-old Grampa is very sick and needs dialysis every three days. This doesn’t effect Gene’s ability to hunt about Tyson’s dad is worried about Gene.

19. cw says:

This book was over the hook, finally something that interested me. Poor Tyson until! Tyson survives sandy!!!!!!!!!! BEST BOOK EVER.

20. &^@$%^&&~!@#$%^ says:

I just read part of the book and it sounds GREAT!!! especally the strange person that eats Grizzly!!

21. maxman says:

i am reading this book, and i think it is amazing and i love how there has bean recent bear attacks and his Gramps is getting older and his dad dosnt want him hunting but he still wants to hunt with his Gramps and his Gramps wants to hunt with him and they try to preserver.