Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

The Mark of the Dragonfly

on September 2, 2015
Part fantasy, part steampunk, The Mark of the Dragonfly plunges readers into a vivid dystopian world where Piper survives by salvaging artifacts left behind by meteor storms. Piper has a gift for machinery; she refurbishes old items, scraps of metal and gears that others could not imagine reconfiguring into new life. However, she dreams of escaping the harsh lifestyle of Scrap Town#16. When Piper discovers an unconscious girl in the wreckage of a traveler’s caravan, she heroically decides to rescue her and deliver her safely home. But returning Anna to her family proves to be a complicated feat. How will Piper return Anna home if Anna has no memory to guide them? And who is the strange man stalking their every move?

19 Responses to “The Mark of the Dragonfly”

1. Anonymous says:

Loved the book!!!!!!!!!!

2. Philly500 says:

it already has reality. 😉

3. star destroyer 77 says:

this boog was ok needs more reality so FIX IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. garbage head says:

Best book ever i could not stop reading this.

5. funcake09 says:

I was surprised when I found out about Anna’s arm. Will she continue to be hostile, or will she start to understand Piper? Is Micah OK? What’s the girl’s name? Will Micah meet the girl? Does the girl even have a name? Who is the wandering man? Will Piper meet the wandering man? I have lots of questions about this book. I can’t wait to find out what happens next. Will the girl meet the wandering man? Is the wandering man related to the girl?

CDL

6. poptart says:

I think that it is cool how the scrappers get things from the sky that come from other worlds, such as jewelry boxes and watches, things like that. A.M.

7. funcake09 says:

It was really surprising to find what was on the girl’s arm. Will she continue to be hostile, or will she start to understand Piper? Is Micah OK? What’s the girl’s name? Will Micah meet the girl? Does the girl even have a name? Who is the wandering man? Will Piper meet the wandering man? I have lots of questions about this book. I can’t wait to find out what happens next. Will the girl meet the wandering man? Is the wandering man related to the girl?

CDL

8. maeve says:

The mark of the dragon fly was awesome. It was cool when you learned Gee has wings. (Spoiler Alert)

9. Hockey player 3000 says:

This book won my vote by far

10. cupcakeSN says:

On the back of the book where it says “One is smart, One is brave, One is hiding a secret that could cost them their lives.” it caught my attention and I knew that I had to read the book!

11. cupcakeSN says:

I haven’t read very much of the book but the part that I have read is very intro sting I like the fact that the book is showing how a girl even as young as Piper is can still live on her own and make life work for her.

12. POLAR BEAR A.M says:

This book is a true work of art put into words very captivating

13. gooseMSR says:

You drew me in so well I am going to read it when I am dune with ice dogs.

14. POLAR BEAR A.M says:

This is a great book if you love modern fantasy. Find out what secret the girl with the dragonfly tattoo is hiding, a secret even she doesn’t know.

15. Dragon Lord says:

want to read

16. makenna says:

When Anna and Piper get attacked by the slavers talk about nerve racking. I couldn’t stop reading and boy are they lucky that Gee always shows up at the right moment. I wonder if she will recognize him by his eyes. This is such a good bock. Has my vote by far and I highly recommend it to everyone!!!!

17. makenna says:

The end of chapter 9 was really intense but I have to admit now I’m even more addicted to it. While I was reading it I felt like I was Piper. If I where to pick between death or severe injuries I don’t know what I would do. I wonder what she chooses. Its literally a life or death situation. I wonder if Piper is going to tell Anna. I highly recommend this book.

18. Kiwi says:

I’ve read this book, it is very exiting and takes an interesting turn that has something to do with Ana.

19. makenna m :) says:

The book The Mark of the Dragonfly is most likely the book that I’ll be voting for. I’m only on page 100 but I love the character and setting description. The plot is so amazing. My favorite part so far is when she meets Anna and the get on the train talk about putting your life on the line. I highly recommend this book to everyone ready my post, but I especially recommend it to adventure seeking readers.