Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

The Madman of Piney Woods

on September 2, 2015
Forty years after Elijah of Buxton, two boys unravel the mystery of Piney Woods. Benji is a black boy who wants to be a reporter and gets an internship at a newspaper. Red is an Irish boy who wants to be a scientist and lives with his angry grandmother. Piney Woods separates the two boys, but they both know the stories of the madman. The boys become friends and together they learn about racism, war, family, and compassion.

11 Responses to “The Madman of Piney Woods”

1. flower of the north says:

I did not like this book because it was very confusing and hard to keep reading:)

2. awesomedude 99 says:

I really liked the book. Whenever I finish work I pick it up and read. Even when I only have one minute. I like the flipped over treehouse. The one thing I didn’t like was the each chapter was about something else.

3. awesomedude 99 says:

I really lik the book. Whenever I finish work I read. The flipped over treehouse is funny.

4. TSGES says:

I like how the story follows two characters. I like the creepy sensation while the Madman tells his life story.

5. violett says:

This book was awesome! There is so much suspense. Like when… opps I almost gave it away.READ THIS BOOK NOW!!!!

6. Peanut Butter Biscuit PB says:

To Ms Thompson

I liked that they flipped the tree house up Si down I thought that was funny.

7. peanutbuderbiskitPB says:

It was confusing that every other chapter the characters change I do not like that way of tiling a story.

8. 1234ertyhgrdfg says:

what? only 4 comments!!!!!!!!!!

9. Ms. Thompson says:

What did you like about it?

10. Maya says:

This was such a good book!!! I would read it again in a heartbeat!!!

11. cotton candy yo says:

It is the best book #awsome#cool