Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

The Art of Secrets

on September 2, 2015
When Saba Khan’s apartment burns in a mysterious fire everyone formulates an opinion. Is it a hate crime? Did her family concoct the fire themselves? Saba’s father even worries that her younger, pyromaniac brother is to blame. But things take an unexpected turn for the better when Kendra and Kevin Spoon decide to organize a fundraiser for the Khan family; that is, until the Spoons discover an odd piece of art in a back alley and learn that it is worth a mighty sum. Told in multiple narratives, The Art of Secrets explores the greed, jealousy, and suspicion that cloud its characters’ points of view as they vie for a hunk of the newfound artwork’s reward and lose sight of Saba’s struggle.

12 Responses to “The Art of Secrets”

1. AnimeIsLife3635 says:

@Bailey I agree, I really like the mystery in the book and I wonder who burned Sabas apartment down and why they did it. -CG

2. glades05 says:

this is a good book so far.

3. AnimeIsLife3635 says:

The book is very focused on the special piece of art Kendra and Kevin found. The book is very dramatic right now and I’m very interested in where the story’s going. -CG

4. maeve says:

I didn’t really like this book cause they didn’t even say who set the fire or stole it or set fire to it.

5. Bailey says:

I really love this book because the whole mystery of the fire and the mystery of the dumpster art worth millions of dollars.

6. BAILEY says:

I love this book because the whole mystery of the fire and the mystery of the dumpster art worth millions of dollars.

7. POLAR BEAR A.M says:

this sounds like a good book

8. hannahpeacock says:

There is definitely a major part of the book that is about art!

9. SarahVT says:

i hope this book is about art if not that is a rip off

10. Toni says:

Tell us what you think when you finish it!

11. kittylover123 says:

this looks like a very good book, and i am going to check it out at my local library today. Cant wait to read it!

12. caitlincorless says:

Why do you think James Klise chose to tell this story from multiple perspectives? Do you think the book would have been better or worse if it were told from just one character’s perspective?