Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

El Deafo

on September 2, 2015
Cece Bell lost her hearing from a bout of meningitis when she was four years old. In this memoir, told and illustrated as a graphic novel, Cece relates how her family tried to help hercope with this loss. She attempts to learn lip reading until she is outfitted with a Phonic Ear in the first grade. The best thing about wearing the Phonic Ear is that it equips her with secret super powers becausesuddenly, she can hear her teacher not just when she’s in the classroom, but in the teacher’s lounge, the hallway, and even the bathroom. When Cece’s family moves and she has to start a new school, her loneliness and need for friendships are complicated the self-consciousness she feels wearing her clunky Phonic Ear. Will the superpowers it brings help her with what she wants more than anything else, a true friend?

130 Responses to “El Deafo”

1. Maddison says:

I really think this book should at least get a lot of votes:)

2. Maddison says:

What I like about this book is that she is shy when she meets new people but then she gets used to it:)

3. Dragon Lord says:

it’s awsome

4. Lance says:

it’s amazing she uses here haering ades as a super power

5. KelleyDvt says:

El Deafo is one of my favorite books because it tells a good story in a grate way (graphic novel style) which makes it a quick read but you gain some thing from it.

6. AlexanderVT says:

I loved the book but I thought that the story skipped stuff like her birthday. Did people signed at her? Did she not hear questions like do you want to play a game? The plot was pretty straight forward. It was about how she went deaf and also about Friends, and School.

7. SarahVT says:

this book was very sad in the middle and funny at the end ,I think people will like this book because it talks about friendship and it could teach you a lesson.

8. azstampa says:

I really liked the story because it is creative, original and it has a good introduction to start the story off. Also I like that it explains Cece’s feelings and what happened in her life like in school when she could not hear and at home.

9. SophiaVT says:

El Deafo really helped me really helped me under stand what it is like to have a loss of hearing, and how difficult and cool it can be. my favorite part of this book was when she got the phonic ear [ her super strong hearing aid]. It would be kind or cool to have something like that, in some ways of course. I could use it to play games and have fun in class when the teacher wasn’t around.[Ha Ha]

10. owen says:

I love when she has her dress and also so her hearing aid and she says “I still look good.” I didn’t like when her friend didn’t hang out with here anymore. Also when when she couldn’t see when everything blurry.

11. Maddison says:

I liked how cece pretends she is a super hero. If that was not in this book then it would probably not be a good book. I also like how she is in love with mike miller. You can tell because sometimes her checks turn red or she has a heart above her head and in her eyes.

12. ryan says:

Makenna described this wonder full book. perfectly and it must be hard to live like that for a long time. it would be very hard for me.

13. Taylor says:

My favorite part of this book is when CeCe is learning sing language and seeing the couple fighting in sing language.What was your favorite part.

14. Taylor says:

After reading the first couple of pages of this book I immediately got sucked in.I love how she is all the time so positive through out her life struggels.

15. ryan says:

in the first three pages i got so interested i fineshed in a day and 20 minests but it was cool how its based off the life of cecee bell and how she went through the problems that went on and on

16. Buzz says:

i love dis book its amazin! i could read it forever!!!!!!!

17. HalleVT says:

I LOVE IT BECAUSE THIS WAS A TRUE STORY ABOUT CECE BELL AND SHE WAS SO YOUNG AT THE TIME I FEEL SO BAT FOR HER. SOMEDAY IF SHES STILL ALIVE I HOPE TO ME CECE BELL AND TELL HER THAT SHE INSPIRED ME TO WRITE ABOUT HOW I GOT MY STITCHES.

18. HalleVT says:

I LOVE THIS BOOK IT WAS SO HEART WARMING IT MADE ME SO HAPPY BUT IT ALSO MADE ME FEEL SAD BECAUSE SHE WAS SCARED TO GO TO SCHOOL LOOKING LIKE THAT BUT AS IT GOES SHE GETS USED TO THEM AND SHE DOSNT CARE WHAT OTHERS THINK ONLESS THERE NICE THINGS.

19. Toni says:

What aspect of this book don’t you like?

20. no one 2.0 says:

i like the book but it is not the best.

21. Kane says:

After reading just the first couple pages, I immediately got sucked into it. The author did such a good job expressing a real story as a cartoon. This book creates so many emotions from really happy, to really sad. I love how she creates her own imaginary superhero, and she uses her differences as her superpowers! Everything is happy in the end, and it’s such a good book!

22. hannahpeacock says:

Interesting, Aiden. What about it reminds you of a fairy tale?

23. aiden says:

i like this book it looks like a fairy tale

24. owen says:

I love how El Deafo is sad and funny. I love how Cece has a crush on Mike and she tries to hide it from her friend.

25. horsegirl says:

I fell in love with the book as soon as I found out it was a true story.
    This book reminded me of my great grama became deaf when she was 5. My grama had a hard time getting friends too.

26. Pollen says:

It was a great book!

27. Pollen says:

I liked the book!

28. Ms. Thompson says:

What do you think could have made the story better?

29. Sarah says:

I think this was a very good but quick read. Some parts made me sad.

30. Maya says:

This was a good graphic novel but I didn’t really like the story line and it was a very fast read and didn’t have a good story line.

31. bobodonut says:

Amazing! Cece goes through so much trouble, she learns how to push through. An inspiring graphic novel.

32. happyreadinghorse says:

I read this book and fell in love with it as soon as I opened the cover. It is a heart warming story that touches you until the end.<3

33. Maddie says:

I enjoyed El Deafo because of the way Cece Bell perseveres through meningitis by making the best out of losing her hearing. I remember one part in particular when she was with her “friends” at a sleepover and she couldn’t read their lips because the lights were out. Even though it was really complicated, she learned to except being deaf. Totally my favorite book so far!

34. makenna says:

I think El deafo was an emotional roller coaster that shows you the ups and downs of a little girl named Cece and her life as she grows up with a disability. I really liked the fact that it showed what shes thinking along with what shes saying. That way you know that shes not always going with her gut feeling. Another part of the book I liked was when she thinks about Mike, her crush and when she hears her teacher in the bathroom. Both of those parts would make me laugh every time. My first or second favorite DCF book this year by far. I highly recommend the book.

35. Andrew says:

It is a really cool book

36. librarylady says:

A wonderful story of making lemonade out of lemons. I think it is so pertinent to all kids, going through the growing pains of childhood friendships.

37. Toni says:

What part don’t you understand? Maybe I can help explain it?

38. Jaden says:

I liked this book

39. Jazmin says:

I really like book a lot

40. Zoe says:

This is such a good book I could read it every day for the rest of my life

41. Bonnie says:

This was one of the best books I have read.

42. david says:

This book is a great and easy book to read, I think that it really shows what people with hearing impairments have to go through. I recommend this book to everbody.

43. Eben says:

This book was very interesting it told you about some times being different can be cool and sometimes not.

44. Tristan Prescott says:

This book is AWESOME everybody should read it.

45. no one 2.0 says:

Don’t understand begining

46. Ms. Thompson says:

This is one of my favorite books of the year too! Does anyone else think it might be this year’s winner?

47. Berkley says:

This was an amazing awesome book I could read it over and over again.

48. Toni says:

Isn’t it neat how the author worked her own true story into such a fun visual format?

49. jenjen says:

What an amazing personal story.

50. Debbie says:

My favorite 2015-16 DCF so far!