Dorothy Canfield Fisher Award

I Kill the Mockingbird

on September 1, 2015
When Lucy, Elena, and Michael receive their summer reading list, they are excited to see To Kill a Mockingbird included. But not everyone in their class shares the same enthusiasm. So they hatch a plot to get the entire town talking about the well-known Harper Lee classic. They plan controversial ways to get people to read the book, including re-shelving copies of the book in bookstores so that people think they are missing and starting a website committed to “destroying the mockingbird.” Their efforts are successful when all of the hullabaloo starts to direct more people to the book. But soon, their exploits start to spin out of control and they unwittingly start a mini revolution in the name of books. (Macmillan)

27 Responses to “I Kill the Mockingbird”

1. maxman says:

I didn’t like that this book was encouraging shop lifting and they didn’t get in trouble at all. I think the writing was good but the story line and the fact of the book is already famous and they still are tying to get people to read it was dumb. I wouldn’t recommend this book to people who get board by a book easly.

2. Anonymous says:

I will kill the mocking bird

3. bobofvt says:

I thought that it was totally ridiculous that Michael, Alana, and Lucy did not get into trouble for shoplifting and moving the books away from the people. They wanted people to read the book even though ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ is just the most famous novel on planet Earth. If they wanted people to read it, they should have just bought more copies and set the books out for people to actually read. There were tons of people already getting the book but since Lucy and her friends stole the books, people could not read the book. Michael, Alana, and Lucy think they are doing a good deed, but really, they are stealing and thinking it is heroic and bold. Overall, I would not recommend this book to anyone.

4. cookie monster says:

I think this book is a good book but this is not my kind of book if i could rate this book out of 1 through 5 it probably would be a 3

5. fund mutt says:

this book is great and it reminds me not to burn books but to read them.

6. jorden says:

this is a great book please take the time to read it thanks u

7. Saije says:

This was a pretty good book. Other than the fact that the kids hid the books. I am very surprised that they did not get in trouble. I personally would reccomend this book to kids who are responsible enough not to follow along and do what the kids in the book did. Other than that I actually really enjoyed this book.

8. adom says:

This book is good i like the part at the end when every one said they killed a mocking bird

9. sophia says:

This book was a pretty good book. Although the fact that the kids ran off to the library without their parents knowing wasn’t the best part. I enjoyed how the kids tried to make it on their own was showing courage and was very interesting.

10. Luke Skywlake says:

I loved it that much and they should make a movie

11. J.S.Bach says:

Now that I’ve read “I Kill the Mockingbird,” I want to read the original “To Kill a Mockingbird.” I liked the book cause it was funny and talked about great classics.

12. trey says:

I thought the book was really good

13. kal says:

I love this book it makes me want to make my own book.

14. MariaVT says:

Kat Valentine,what book were you reading when it mentioned this book?

15. Kane says:

How to describe this book? Amazing. This book is a mixture of a somewhat sort of mystery, and get’s pretty suspenseful near the end and how there conspiracy spreads across the U.S and they need to try to stop it in the end because it gets out of hand and they almost burn all the pages from the unused books. Also, that really long word, hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia!

16. Anonymous says:

my punishment for them would be to apologize to the library for taking from the recycling bin, and sending copies of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD to places the places were other people stole copies.

17. MariaVT says:

BenVT I was really confused when they did’t say her name and re-read the first few pages to try and find it.

18. MariaVT says:

I really like this book and plot is good,but I don’t like the relationship that Lucy and Michael have.I know teen have romantic relationships but I think it went a bit to far.

19. benVT says:

My punishment would be to have them buy just as many copies as they stole and give the exact number to each place they stole from.

20. benVT says:

I am surprised to. why would they even think about doing a thing like that? It’s illegal.

21. benVT says:

I am liking this book so far, but it doesn’t state the main characters name in the first 5 pages. Other wise, it’s a very good book

22. Anonymous says:

I thought this was very interesting, and it was so great to highlight such a marvelous old classic. I hope they make another one. Maybe Go Set A Watchman, or something else. It also just shows appreciation for classic books I this generation.

23. Kat Valentine says:

I was reading a book and the girl in my book was reading this very book, and now I would like to read this, but i have not got a chance.

24. owen says:

I like this book and its funny, sad and everything else.

25. Mrs. Wills says:

I read this book over the summer, and now am using it as a read-aloud with my 8th grade class. We will read the original To Kill A Mockingbird soon.

I like the humor in this book, and appreciate that it brings awareness of classic books to middle school students.

26. hannahpeacock says:

What punishment would you choose for them?

27. Kathy says:

I am surprised that the group of kids did not get into major trouble for hiding the books.