The Five Lives of Our Cat Zook

June20

five livesby Joanne Rocklin

As ten-year-old Oona and her younger brother conspire to break their sick cat Zook out of the veterinary clinic, Oona tells the story of Zook’s previous lives.

33 Comments to

“The Five Lives of Our Cat Zook”

1. March 31st, 2014 at 6:45 am       Papa smurf unicorn 899 Says:

I like this book because I think it is very interesting. I like how onna thinks of super funny things to say.

2. March 31st, 2014 at 6:45 am       kitty_sandwitch_25 Says:

I like this book because it has interesting characters and you can never expect whats going to happen next! I recommend this book for every one! It is such a good book!

3. March 18th, 2014 at 8:06 am       cool guy 1 Says:

This is a really god book u should read it

I believe you, but can you give me one specific reason why? Kate Davie

4. March 11th, 2014 at 12:53 pm       zoe Says:

I haven’t gotten so far but so far I like it. I LOVE the first page it is sooooooooooo funny!!!!!

5. February 19th, 2014 at 11:46 am       Justhatgamer Says:

OMG is this book supposed to get on your nerves?! Becuase this book killed me! At first I thought i thought it was fuuny and that it was going to be good, but then everything changed and turned out to be awful. I DO NOT RECOMEND THIS BOOK IF YOUR OVER THE AGE OF 10. SORRY

Oh, my! What changed your mind? Did the whole book get on your nerves, or just the impulsiveness of Oona’s character? The author must have written her like that for a reason, what do you think it was? Kate Davie

6. February 10th, 2014 at 7:34 am       katherine Says:

I think that I will give it a try

7. January 31st, 2014 at 8:19 am       Basheruniverse Says:

i dought kats have nine lives not five did it lose sum od it lieds [Off topic content deleted --Kate Davie]

8. January 24th, 2014 at 8:10 pm       demigod Says:

Hey, Anonymous, (♥ that word!) No book really has ‘age limits’, but this is geared towards younger readers. Maybe 4th grade-6th graders?

Well, Demigod, once again you are way ahead of me. In an earlier comment I said that the DCF committee had recommended this for grades six and up, but that was flat out wrong — they recommended if for grades four and up, just like you! Kate Davie

9. January 23rd, 2014 at 8:53 am       sarah Clancy Says:

I can’t wait until I read more of the book

10. January 23rd, 2014 at 7:39 am       sarah Clancy Says:

I like the book so fair the makes me think about my cat ”zook”! I feel that he is in side the real book!

11. January 17th, 2014 at 7:51 am       Alia_Bear Says:

I love the whole plot, story, setting, and people in this book. Because the little girl is so imaginative with the five lives of her cat. I love how she really cares for her brother because most big sisters don’t really care for their little brothers , I love how the dad tells them stories and how creative he is while telling them. I love the one in the beginning about all of the animals and the huge drought , I really like the cat too and how they found him and why they named him “Zook”. I would have to say this is a great book with incredible details, imaginative characters , and a great pet .

12. January 9th, 2014 at 5:22 pm       Anonymous Says:

I have been reading this book in library! I like the book so far! I like how the found and named the cat after where they found the cat “Zook”! They found the cat at the pizza place and they named the cat after zucchini !

13. December 6th, 2013 at 12:04 pm       Anonymous Says:

What are the age limtes to this book?

from
    the faboulous Magenta

Well, FM, the DCF Committee recommends this title for grades six and up. Kate Davie

14. December 4th, 2013 at 11:17 am       AthenaGirl Says:

None of the characters were really that interesting,they were just kind of bland background pieces.

Well, it’s true they weren’t wildly eccentric or dramatic. Personally, I really enjoyed how they belonged to a lot of different racial and ethnic backgrounds. Definitely not the kind of neighborhood I live in, unfortunately! Kate Davie

15. December 4th, 2013 at 7:20 am       AthenaGirl Says:

The other characters were fine,I didn’t feel like any of them were particularly exceptional,many were just plain mediocre.

Do you mean mediocre as people, or that you felt only ordinarily invested in them? Kate Davie

16. December 4th, 2013 at 7:17 am       AthenaGirl Says:

wkmk:monkey,of course I read the book!I just feel like Oona was immature and I am completely aware that she had hard things to deal with,I found that she often acted,as Demigod said,like Junie B Jones.
    The whole thing in the vets office was just stupid and her mistrust of Dylan based on superstitions was,well,behavior I would expect in a four-year-old.

17. December 2nd, 2013 at 7:17 am       MHSEH Says:

I haven’t read this but people say it’s boring.

You might want to read the comments on this before you decide not to try it — the word boring does not come up! Kate Davie

18. November 25th, 2013 at 12:19 pm       Gymnast Girl Says:

I feel better about death after I read this book. I have had hard times in my life and reading about a girl who has too made me feel better. I feel better about my cat Bodidley who had run away because of my crazy dogs but just like how [Spoiler info deleted.] happy that Oona and Freddy got a chance with him. I think that Oona is too expectant about herself and doesn’t realize that she is only 10 and there isn’t to much expected by her. I know I would be upset if my mothers boyfriend said my cat would get better but then he suddenly passed away. I have so many connections to Oona.I feel thankful for what I have and not to get hung up on other things. It is ok to be sad sometimes but you just have to let go. That is what I learned from this book.

I thought Oona would find some champions among the DCF readers! Kate Davie

19. November 12th, 2013 at 12:43 pm       googlespacechimp Says:

this book made me cry and i am a boy

A true compliment to the author! Kate Davie

20. November 5th, 2013 at 6:21 pm       demigod Says:

Hey 123456, I think that the setting is fine. It explains all the stuff like the alleyway, and the restaurant, and I think that it’s pretty good. =)

21. October 24th, 2013 at 7:17 am       123456 Says:

i fell asleep when i was reading the boo

It is kind of a “comfort” story. Perhaps a better choice for you would be The Expeditioners, or The False Prince, because they have more action and drama. Kate Davie

22. October 24th, 2013 at 7:16 am       zombykiler Says:

I love the girls storeys obout her cat.

23. October 24th, 2013 at 7:15 am       123456 Says:

i do not realy like this book because the seting is’t good.

Do you mean that you didn’t like it, or you didn’t think it was well described, or it’s in a bad place? Kate Davie

24. October 24th, 2013 at 7:11 am       Immortal MC Says:

Zooks original name is mud.

25. October 24th, 2013 at 7:10 am       Immortal MC Says:

This book is kind of sad,because of Zook getting sick

26. October 16th, 2013 at 2:43 pm       sabrina17 Says:

The Five Lives of Our Cat Zook is a really super book. my favorite character is Dylan the Villian. he is really a nice man and ended up being sorry and helpful too Zook. I would recommend this book if you like cats and slightly sad books.

27. October 1st, 2013 at 10:04 am       wkmk:monkey Says:

I really love this book but it is sad. It is sad because zook is terribly sick. it is also sad because of the relation ships in it between Oona and her brother and mom (that also makes it happy). There are also whoppers some are good and some are bad. If you don’t know what that is you will have to read the book to find. I recommend this book to people who like realistic books and stuff that could happen in reel life like hurt feelings and happy times and deaths not jest of the main character.I like that about this book.I don’t think you would like this book if you are rille sensitive to animals.

28. September 27th, 2013 at 5:46 pm       demigod Says:

PS. The anonymous one was me accidentally posting anonamously.

29. September 27th, 2013 at 5:44 pm       demigod Says:

She just acts like a little kid at some times. Especially when she yelled at the vet. She just said it the way junie b jones would have said it.

30. September 27th, 2013 at 4:22 pm       wkmk:monkey Says:

AthenaGirl I disagree with you that Oona is mean, immature,and ignorant. I disagree because I just finished reading this book and think she is nice, kind, and helpful considering what she had to go through. I find that she was a great sister and daughter and friend to be honest. Have you read the book? Because if you haven’t I don’t think it is fair to make that judgment about Oona. AthenaGirl what do you think about the other charictors?

31. September 27th, 2013 at 3:40 pm       wkmk:monkey Says:

I like the part in this book when… well I can’t really tell you because it will ruin it for you. But I do like the part when zook and Phin get reunited. I like this part because it is so happy and lovable. Phin is a grand father figure for Oona. Phin is a grandfather figure to Oona because, she feels she can understand him and feels she can tell him anything.

If you have read this book how do you feel about the end? I find it sad and happy at the same time. Do you? If you have not read this book I highly recommend it. Do you know anything

about it?

32. August 20th, 2013 at 4:10 pm       Anonymous Says:

I read it and Oona is more junie B jones like than mean, though she is kind of ignorant.

That is an intriguing comparison! What it is that she doesn’t know that you think she should? — Kate Davie

33. July 16th, 2013 at 11:44 am       AthenaGirl Says:

I did not enjoy this book,the maln character was mean,immature,and ignorant

Well, Athena Girl, I haven’t read this one yet myself, but that isn’t the way the reviews described Oona. Can you give us some specifics about what you didn’t like about her behavior? Plus, is seems as though she has had to deal with some pretty tough issues. Do you think we have to cut her a little slack because of that? — Kate Davie

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Themes

Recent Comments