The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls

June20

cavendishby Claire Legrand

Practically-perfect twelve-year-old Victoria Wright must lie, sneak, and break the rules when her investigation of the disappearance of her best–and only–friend, Lawrence, reveals dark secrets about her town and the orphanage run by the reclusive Mrs. Cavendish.

39 Comments to

“The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls”

1. April 3rd, 2014 at 10:38 am       Justhatgamer Says:

This book is amazing!!! I loved it! She should make a second one considering the ending, and I have one wish about the book, I kind of wish Lawrence and Victoria ended up “Together” if you know what I mean, but maybe there could be a second one, I would defenatly read it!!! It took me a long time to read but it was worth it! I took it everywhere with me until I finished it, so yes, very good book and I just might vote for it and read it again!

2. March 31st, 2014 at 8:20 am       #Chattiemaddie Says:

This book is amazing because it has so many good details.The book is very good because it keeps you interested all day long. Also it is creepy because bad things happen in the book. It was one of my favorite books. The book is about a girl named Victoria and she tries to figure out why everyone is acting weird in the town and why kids are missing in the town. But when Victoria finds out about Mrs.Cavendish and her home for boys and girls she finds out that is where all the kids are going. But then Mrs. Cavendish takes Victoria into the home and keeps her with all of the other kids until the kids are 14. If you are bad in the home you have to go in the hanger and hang there all day.

3. March 31st, 2014 at 8:15 am       $$Mrs. Little Pickle$$!! Says:

I love this book it was so great. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery books because the book has a little bit of a twist of a mystery in the middle of the book. I think everyone should read this CREEPY BOOK!!!!

4. March 31st, 2014 at 8:13 am       Kg12shotguns#1 Says:

I think this book is really cool because Mrs Cavendish is really creepy! ah!

5. March 31st, 2014 at 6:46 am       Hockey girl 25 Says:

I love this book it is like a mystery and it put me on edge it is also creepy because there are roaches that are every where and Mrs Cavendish says she knows every one and what they do. I get the chills reading the book. I think this is a great book.

6. March 31st, 2014 at 6:42 am       wildcatme123 Says:

I love this book so much! I think it is awesome because the author shows, not tells. I love how Mrs. Cavendish is spooky and Victoria is very brave. This book is the best mystery I’ve ever read. I liked the mystery because of how Mrs. Cavendish acts. She is very cruel because she calls the kids degenerates and does VERY cruel things to them.

7. March 31st, 2014 at 6:40 am       mr.rhino Says:

I loved this book because it kept me on the age the my seat.

8. March 31st, 2014 at 6:40 am       awesomenezz17/hippopotamus Says:

The Cavendish Home For Boys And Girls is a good book because it is full of action, and it is very harsh, because she kidnaps kids.I would be terrified if I was one of them.

9. March 28th, 2014 at 11:02 am       sip line Says:

Awesome book. Little scary but good

10. March 23rd, 2014 at 9:55 am       Wyatt Says:

i read this book a long time ago it was the first DCF book i ever read but i remember that it was very creepy and at least in my opinion mysterios

11. March 18th, 2014 at 8:17 am       Phoebe Forester Says:

As you know this is a creepy story if you ever read it but its really about the friendship and the trust.

12. March 7th, 2014 at 8:45 am       #Yolo_Man Says:

I loved this book. I think this is a good book for 4 grade to 6 grade.

What did you like about it? Kate Davie

13. February 28th, 2014 at 8:27 am       Strobe lights are for . . . Says:

This book is weird and creepy first of all why would they have a home for both boys and girls they should be separate.

Hmm. Are there both boys and girls in your school? It that weird and creepy? Kate Davie

14. February 6th, 2014 at 4:37 am       I love squirrels! Says:

Love this book. Really spooky

15. January 22nd, 2014 at 8:21 am       HockeyPlayer#7 Says:

This book was like I was falling through a trapdoor into the beast of the book the Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls. This book was a weird kind of creepy and I would not recommend this book for kids or adults that get scared or weirded out easily. While reading this book I had to “read between the lines” to really understand what was going on and I don’t mind that. If your one of those people who are into things like this book than read it! (But I don’t recommend reading this after 8:00 at night).

16. January 16th, 2014 at 1:05 pm       bob 123 Says:

I saw the preview for this book here at school. I think it would be a really good book. Hope to read it soon!

We hope so too! Kate Davie

17. January 14th, 2014 at 7:30 am       panda guuuurrrrllll Says:

This book was amazing. I really liked how the author made it like you were in the book and this was happening to you. I also liked how the author made it how Victoria and Lawrence were each others only friends and at the end I could barely finish it because it was soooo scary! I LOVE THIS BOOK!

18. January 14th, 2014 at 7:08 am       cheese bob 303 Says:

I have not read this book yet but it sounds really cool. It sounds mysterious. It is the next dcf book i am going to read.

19. January 14th, 2014 at 7:07 am       Krista Says:

I really liked this book because it kinda reminds me of Coraline. It was creepy like Coraline, but except this book didn’t have the mom trying to sew butons to her eyes, but it was still a REALLY good book.
    ______
    I also like the way it keeps you wondering about the story and what will happen next.

20. January 9th, 2014 at 8:47 am       Paulmccaurtney Says:

I like this book even though I’m old i love it

21. January 9th, 2014 at 8:23 am       Fluffy Chickens Says:

I have not read this book yet, but by the comments its sounds really suspenseful. It looks really interesting, and a real mystery. I hope I will read it later on in the year.

We do to! Let us know if what you thought about the suspense when you catch up with it. Kate Davie

22. January 8th, 2014 at 8:19 am       Anonymous Says:

This book sounds exiting!

23. January 8th, 2014 at 8:15 am       terrytheunicorn Says:

I have not read this book yet, but I am excited to. I have been reading the comments and summaries on this book, and am excited to read about the complex and spooky story line of this book!

24. December 10th, 2013 at 12:12 pm       i can make koolaide lover 123 Says:

Though I have not read this book before, I think it would be an interesting read. When I read the summary of it, it seemed like a book that would have a lot of suspense and keep you at the edge of your seat. I would also like to read this book because it gives a creepy vibe that is found in some other interesting books like a more mature version of the goosebumps. It also seems like it has a very deep and complex storyline. Although I might not have read this book yet, after looking at the very well written summary made by the author (and reading from some other sources that were provided to me from my school), I can tell it’s going to be a very good book.

Please let us know how it lives up to your expectations! Kate Davie

25. December 10th, 2013 at 12:12 pm       ~S.S.~ Says:

The book was good because you didn’t know what was going to happen next. It kept you on the edge of your seat. If the author had any more books I would definitely want to read them. I like books that are mysterious like that. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a mystery book.

Ms.Legrand does have another book out, The Year of Shadows, and the third one coming out next fall called Winterspell. She has a fun website at http://claire-legrand.com/. Kate Davie

26. December 6th, 2013 at 12:15 pm       Justin Bieber Says:

I read this book and it was amazing! When I have time to read (because I have such a busy sechuale when I sing and act all the time) I always pick up this book because I love it! I highly recommend it.

It’s good to see such a high profile celebrity as yourself promoting reading, especially DCF books! Kate Davie

27. December 5th, 2013 at 9:51 am       AthenaGirl Says:

I loved this book!I have friends who didn’t really like Victoria but I personally did,perhaps because I’m a bit like her…

28. December 2nd, 2013 at 12:30 pm       Anonymous Says:

I read this book and this is the opposition to Ungifted. The Suspense and stress really builds the story. Ignore the boring cover and read to your hearts content.

29. November 19th, 2013 at 9:40 am       demigod Says:

Nope, But stuff just as creepy!

30. November 18th, 2013 at 6:57 pm       demigod Says:

Yeah, it is rather like “Coraline”.

I hope there aren’t any button eyes. Kate Davie

31. November 18th, 2013 at 8:04 am       MHSSPM Says:

I really hope to read this book. It seems exciting and fun, but also kind of creepy at the same time!

32. October 23rd, 2013 at 12:51 pm       wk:awseomeness Says:

this book is what I like to call a gasping book because every page you flipped was like a new adventure. And it made me feel powerful there were some parts that I hade to put the book down and say relax but that’s why its my favorite book I’ve ever read. Over all id give it 5 big stars.

I love the phrase a “gasping book”! Is it safe to assume that, so far, this book has your vote? Kate Davie

33. October 23rd, 2013 at 9:03 am       globe Says:

Really good but rather creepy. The whole thing with the gophers and the lobby was pretty weird and creepy.

This time of year that should be a selling point. Kate Davie

34. October 23rd, 2013 at 8:37 am       effie trinket Says:

Very reminiscent of Coraline

In plot or ambiance? Kate Davie

35. October 20th, 2013 at 12:15 pm       katniss Says:

very creepy but charming. good book

A book that is both creepy and charming must be interesting! Kate Davie

36. October 7th, 2013 at 5:03 pm       hash-tag-yollo-swag Says:

This book is REALLY WEIRD and scary [Extra letters deleted].

Which part is weird, the plot, the characters, or the setting? — Kate Davie

37. September 29th, 2013 at 4:25 pm       wkastitanichp Says:

3 This book is a cross between mystery and realist fiction. If you like a little goosebumps,nancy drew, and the fantasy of harry potter this is the book for you!!!
    This book twists and turns like no other I’ve read. It is a book worth reading, ¾ through it I almost gave it up. Then I pushed myself to read more and more. I finally finished it and the end is worth every scare the book could hold.

38. September 26th, 2013 at 10:06 am       wkastitanichp Says:

This book is about a girl named Victoria Wright who is on a mission to save her friends from the terrible fate that awaits them at the Cavendish home for girls and boys. When Victoria herself gets taken into the home she is horrified at what she sees. The kids there are horribly mistreated,in ways that would not make sense unless you’ve read the book. You would really like this book if you like to read a cross between mystery and realistic fiction. I was really
    surprised when it started to turn scary but now I can’t give it up! I love this book!!!

39. July 24th, 2013 at 6:32 am       demigod Says:

Creepy, but awesome! (Actually, its really creepy!)

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Themes

Recent Comments