Same Sun Here

June20

same sunby Silas House & Neela Vaswani

A twelve-year-old Indian immigrant in New York City and a Kentucky coal miner’s son become pen pals, and eventually best friends, through a series of revealing letters exploring such topics as environmental activism, immigration, and racism.

by posted under Same Sun Here | 14 Comments »    
14 Comments to

“Same Sun Here”

1. March 7th, 2014 at 8:44 am       #shreyasMJ23 Says:

I loved this book. I thought the way it was written with the letters was cool. However I didn’t like how it ended.

I’m intrigued — how would you have preferred it to end? Kate Davie

2. February 19th, 2014 at 11:55 am       Justhatgamer Says:

I loved this book. I loved seeing Meena and River talk to eachother, then end to see that they might see eachother! You never know if they do though.

3. January 31st, 2014 at 11:38 am       MelodyEpin Says:

This book was one of the best books that I have ever read. It is a good way to show friendship. Like when you think there is no one like you. It can show that you can have a conection between two people. This can show that there may be no one like you but if you get to know some one you could be the same.

4. January 30th, 2014 at 3:53 pm       AdelaideH Pin Says:

This book shows an amazing friendship. I really got to know and love both characters through their letters. I liked how both characters were really different but similar at the same time. They really expressed their feelings through their letters even though they were so far away. This book made me want to have a pen-pal! The authors did a great job writing as if they were still kids. When I read this book I felt like I was being sent the letters too, because I couldn’t wait to read about what the other character was doing. I think that it is really cool that the whole book is written in letters. I would definitely recommend this book to friends and even people who don’t even like reading.

5. January 22nd, 2014 at 8:04 am       P.S. Says:

Same Sun Here is REALLY GOOD! I like it because both kids have big troubles and come out fine! If you like listening to troubles of kids your own age, than this book is for you!

6. December 17th, 2013 at 9:13 am       Pheobe Says:

This book is very inchesting.

7. December 10th, 2013 at 12:13 pm       isaiah ellis-monaghan Says:

This book is weird and cool, its weird because it has two authors and I think this is weird because you don’t see a book written by two authors every day. Think it is cool because River the main character writes to his penpal named Meena who lives in India

How do you know Meena isn’t the main character? Kate Davie

8. October 23rd, 2013 at 7:34 am       Jenna Says:

This book is awesome! It is all written through letters between 2 kids, an immigrant from India that now lives in New York City, and a boy from Kentucky. I love how this shows that even though we are very different, you can still be good friends.

9. October 22nd, 2013 at 3:54 am       demigod Says:

Do you, (Kate Davie,) have any say in what the dcf books are? If so, I am going to tell you that I think that “Escape From Mr.Lemoncello’s Library” would be a great one?

I don’t have a say, but YOU can! If you go to the regular DCF web site (http://www.dcfaward.org) there is a page where you can suggest titles for next year’s list. The selection committee pays a lot of attention to titles that students suggest. Kate Davie

10. October 19th, 2013 at 5:52 am       demigod Says:

Wev’e thought about it, but we would have to edit quite a bit of stuff, and one set of characters are 16/17, which we are not so there probably really innacurate.

Well, most authors will tell you that editing is an inescapable part of writing. Also, they write about characters that they are not like all the time, so having characters older than you shouldn’t be a problem. Maybe you could ask some older friends to review it for you. Kate Davie

11. October 16th, 2013 at 11:43 am       demigod Says:

This book is really cool because I’m pretty sure that the two authors actually wrote letters back and forth, Silas House as River and Neela Vaswani as Meena. I think that is pretty cool because me and my two bffs, AthenaGirl and librarygeek, also write letters back and forth as imaginary people.

Way cool, are you planning on publishing? Kate Davie

12. September 26th, 2013 at 10:07 am       wkbb:mtbvt Says:

This book is great for anyone who has ever desired to meet another person like there idle in this book two children have wanted to meet each other but they can’t. they have figured out they have done this thru letter or pen pal they can also look at the same sun at the same time and think that there together

13. September 19th, 2013 at 8:32 am       wkbb:mtbvt Says:

I really like how the characters can share anything. They only ever speak to one another thru letter. this book really elaborates the never judge a book by its cover because the girl meena Josi is from India who gets bullied for her skin color.

14. September 5th, 2013 at 5:43 am       panthersread Says:

This book is a great example of how even though we may be completely different and come from different places, we are all really the same and have a lot in common. I love how the two characters share the differences and similarities in their lives.

A very astute observation! — Kate Davie

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Themes

Recent Comments