May B.

June20

may bby Caroline Starr Rose

When a failed wheat crop nearly bankrupts the Betterly family, Pa pulls twelve-year-old May, who suffers from dyslexia, from school and hires her out to a couple new to the Kansas frontier.

by posted under May B. | 15 Comments »    
15 Comments to

“May B.”

1. March 24th, 2014 at 6:34 am       lulu Says:

this book is good but it is not my favorite

2. January 23rd, 2014 at 12:34 pm       Miggy Says:

I thought this book was very interesting it kept my interest the whole time and it was hard for me to put down the book. Although I thought some things should have ended up differently I loved the moral of the story and I am going to recommend this book to anyone who wants a quick easy book to read.

3. January 23rd, 2014 at 9:20 am       Like a boss Says:

This book just shows how brave you have to be in some situations.

4. January 16th, 2014 at 8:09 am       red monkey Says:

I think this book is good for fifth grade and up. I like howthe story takes place in Russia. That is one reason why this is a great book.

Hmmm. I think the copy in my library takes place in this country. Kate Davie

5. January 16th, 2014 at 7:58 am       Bowling freak Says:

May B. is a sad but great book. It is told in verse just like “Inside Out and Back Again”.

6. January 3rd, 2014 at 11:36 am       jacob Says:

this is a ok book

7. December 10th, 2013 at 12:10 pm       A-L Says:

I didn’t like this book that much, i found it uneventful. There were some parts that you really wanted to read; the rest of the book was kind of droning on. Also some parts kind of depressed me and made me sad, but it was realistic and I did like that about the book. However, it was a very quick and easy read because it was written in free verse. I would not recommend this book if you like action and books that keep you on your toes.

A diversity of opinion is usually a good thing. You can see from some of the other comments that other readers have found May B. to be quite dramatic and full of tension. But perhaps you would prefer something like The Expeditioners, or Bomb or The False Prince. Kate Davie

8. November 25th, 2013 at 12:37 pm       Gymnast Girl Says:

This book was an easy book for me to read but I really felt like I was right there next to May throughout the book. If I was Mr. Oblinger I wouldn’t leave a child alone that wasn’t even mine. I wish that Mr. Oblinger was not so determined to find his wife [Spoiler info deleted.] I was very happy [Spoiler info deleted.] in the end! :)

Up until the last few decades, it was more usual for children to be looking out for themselves, and younger children, at May’s age. In other parts of the world, they still do. Kate Davie

9. November 15th, 2013 at 7:01 am       MHS u luv me Says:

I read it it’s short ad easy to read plus it’s really good

10. November 7th, 2013 at 12:52 pm       horses+ponies Says:

I love this book because it is an easy book and it hooked me as soon as I started. I liked this book because Mr. Oblinger leaves to go find Mrs. Oblinger. It is weird that he would leave a girl who he and his wife are suppose to take care of. May is a brave girl. If I were her I would be scared to death! I would probably stay right at the Oblingers house and not be going off trying to find my way home. I feel bad that May had no one with her. I liked this book soooo much and I possibly might vote for it if I read enough books before the voting time in April!!!!!!

Please read this book it will hook you right away and you will enjoy it i promise!!!!!!

H&P, that is a very persuasive testimonial. Who knows, maybe, like May, you would be more brave than you think! Kate Davie

11. November 4th, 2013 at 4:40 pm       Elcy Says:

This book is hard to read for a fourth grader because it is scary at times

May certainly does find herself in some scary situations! But one of the good things about reading is that the reader can imagine how he or she should react to problem without actually having it. You might want to try one of the funnier DCF books next, I Funny, or Ungifted. Kate Davie

12. October 30th, 2013 at 4:13 pm       wkgt:) Says:

demigod I sorta liked it having that poem form. It made it easier to read for me. It also made me read and a lot faster and think of this book differently. I thought this was a quick book to read so you have more time to do a book report (good book report book)

13. October 23rd, 2013 at 11:16 am       Wyatt Says:

MAY B. is a really good book. At the beginning May is forced to move away from her work job and gets abandoned . I would recommend this book for people who like books with a sad beginning and happy ending.

14. September 27th, 2013 at 5:40 pm       demigod Says:

Good, but in verse, so harder to understand than most books because of it.

15. September 27th, 2013 at 10:10 am       wkgt:) Says:

This is one of the best adventure survival books i’ve ever read. Because I love asking all the what if
    questions in my head what if she doesn’t make it what if she starves the suspense is over the top if I don’t get enough suspense I stop reading but this book i couldn’t stop

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Themes

Recent Comments