Glory Be

June20

glory bby Augusta Scattergood

In the summer of 1964 as she is about to turn twelve, Glory’s town of Hanging Moss, Mississippi, is beset by racial tension when town leaders close her beloved public pool rather than desegregating it.

by posted under Glory Be | 20 Comments »    
20 Comments to

“Glory Be”

1. March 26th, 2014 at 7:12 am       happybean Says:

I absolutely <3 this book! Probably my favorite DCF book..!!!!!!

2. March 24th, 2014 at 6:49 am       lulu Says:

this book is so [Extra letters deleted.] good![Extra punctuation deleted. Kate Davie] because we are learning about this stuff like the civil rights movement

p.s. were in 5th grade

3. March 7th, 2014 at 10:02 am       wriggley gum Says:

I love her name so[Supernumerary letters deleted. Kate Davie] much this was one of the frist DCF books this year

4. March 7th, 2014 at 9:57 am       banana Says:

glory be is an awesome book![Extra punctuation deleted. Kate Davie]

5. February 22nd, 2014 at 3:57 pm       mily562 Says:

It’s the summer of 1964 in a small Mississippi town, and Glory, who’s about to turn 12, wishes she could turn back the clock a year. Her sister Jesslyn is entering high school and no longer has any time, and things have suddenly gotten awkward with Glory’s best friend, Frankie. Plus, a new girl from the North has arrived, and everyone is riled up about what to do about the town’s segregated pool. Whether she wants to or not, Glory has to make some big decisions.

6. January 25th, 2014 at 12:53 pm       larry Says:

How can a book make you stand up for what you believe in that is what the last comment said I don’t think that

Izzy Mae said the book inspired her to stand up for what she believes in. I think books can inspire you by showing what other people have accomplished, in a way that feels emotionally true, whether the characters are real people or fictional characters. For example, Charlotte in E.B. White’s Charlotte’s Web might inspire a person to be a more loyal friend, even though she wasn’t a actual spider. Kate Davie

7. January 23rd, 2014 at 8:58 am       Izzy Mae Says:

Glory Be is a great book, while I was reading this book I felt like I was there. Glory really inspired me to stand up for what I believe in and not to back down.

8. January 15th, 2014 at 10:11 am       pool lover Says:

Why was the pool closed? I have read the book but I still dont understand!

A new law had been passed that made segregation illegal. But some of the white citizens preferred to have “their” pool shut down rather than opening it to African-American swimmers. So they lied about the repairs being needed. That sort of thing was happening in a number of places in the southern United States at that time. Kate Davie

9. November 21st, 2013 at 3:16 pm       jabby12345 Says:

I’m going to say that I liked this book a lot, and it’s really cool to travel back in time through the book, to a time when racism still happened, and the time when people were trying to stop it. In my town, we almost live like that, in the sense we aren’t racists, but there are barely any people who are not white, so we don’t see them much, and are a little weird around them. Also, responding about Frankie, I think he is a good guy, but his brother and his father are both a really bad infulence on him.

I have to say, racism still happens, even here in Vermont, but you’re right, we are not nearly as multi-cultural as a most other places in the U.S. That makes books about institutionalized racism, like this one, all the more important for us to read. Kate Davie

10. November 13th, 2013 at 1:52 pm       demigod Says:

I don’t like Frankie much because he should have stood up to his dad and brother, or at least not been mean about it to Glory.

11. November 12th, 2013 at 12:40 pm       googlespacechimp Says:

my friend and i both read this book because he recommended it for me. I was surprised that i loved it! And he didnt like frankie, but there IS NOTHING WRONG WITH FRANKIE!! he is just pressured by his father and his older brother.

Is Frankie a Good Guy or a Bad Guy? Would anyone else like to share their opinion? Kate Davie

12. November 12th, 2013 at 12:36 pm       Duke Says:

Wonderful book about a girl and her family.

What makes it more wonderful than the average book? Kate Davie

13. October 28th, 2013 at 11:14 am       librarygeek Says:

I liked the atmosphere of this book. The time period matches the plot perfectly.

14. October 24th, 2013 at 7:14 am       firedust91 Says:

i love it so much it is grate

15. October 22nd, 2013 at 8:21 am       spirals1234 Says:

In the book Glory Be there is a lot going on. Certain things happen that may you want to hold on to. Savor every word. And if you don’t understand what’s going on, Glory Be might be difficult to read. I really enjoyed this book.

16. October 16th, 2013 at 11:23 am       demigod Says:

This book was great, and I think that it has a deeper meaning than some people might think. (That isn’t supposed to sound insulting: sorry if it does.) This book is more like, everyone is great in some way, and it seriously DOESN’T MATTER how you look! Also, friendship is VERY important. There are probably other deeper meanings to, so speak up if you’ve found one!

17. September 29th, 2013 at 8:11 am       wkab:dog Says:

I like this book because at beginning the pool was open.Then the colored people came and the pool shut down.

Why do you think the white people in charge of the pool did that? — Kate Davie

18. September 26th, 2013 at 10:13 am       wkab:dog Says:

Glory found our Robbie’s secret and told it to Frankie on an accident.Frankie Is a liar.I think it is because his brother dared him.Why did his brother dare him?

Glory’s nabor is on the pool counsel and is mean to.The pool won’t open up.

19. September 25th, 2013 at 10:21 am       wkmaddog Says:

wk:dog who is she? may i have more info please

20. September 19th, 2013 at 8:36 am       Anonymous Says:

wkab:dog I like this book because a girl named Glory became friends with a colored girl when people didn’t like colored people.She was very nice to that girl.

Why do you think that Glory had different opinions than most of the people around her? I haven’t read this one yet, does the author use the word “colored” on her own, or does she have her characters use it? It is not usually considered to be polite nowadays. — Kate Davie

Email will not be published

Website example

Your Comment:

Themes

Recent Comments